• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stat raid mix hdd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dtu

I currently run two Seagate 160g hdd's in raid 0. I get a sustained speed of 73m. Not good enough :). I bought 2 wd 74g raptors to replace the seagate's.

My question is: Would it be beneficial to run the raptors and the seagates together in raid 0, or just keep the raptors and run them together. I know I will get a performance increase by running all, but will I degrade the real performance of the raptors by doing so?

Thanks

You will degrade the perfomance of the raptor if you put them all in RAID 0. Just leave the Raptors in RAid and the two seagates as backups and storage for stuff.

Welcome to the forums!

What are you specifcally trying to obtain with the disk subsystem? Are you looking for fast operation with smaller files or do you work with large files? Next, which controller are you using. The onboard controller will likely only support two drives. Finally, do you have a backup plan in place. Data can be a pain to replace.

On to practical issues, running the 4 drives together with a high end controller would be a mistake. You'd lose the space over 74GB on the 160s and slow the array to the speed of the 160s. If that board has dual RAID controllers, running two separate arrays would be possible.

Raptors usually have limited benefits from running in RAID-0 according to some members. Personally, I prefer the enhanced seek times of single drives, but others have differing opinions. I run 15K SCSIs on most systems and despite having SCSI hardware based RAID controllers, run them without RAID on boot drives as a normal configuration. I do run RAID for data storage, but only for redundancy.

the raid controller is on the asus p4c800-e dlx. Intel sata. I run a Seagate (Certance) tape backup so I am not concerned with data loss. As far as files go, I run dvd's converted to mpeg and gaming. I am mostly looking for the gain for gaming. and the extra speed for a notch on the belt :)

I know the raptor has a sped of 135
the seagate were only 40

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated

didnt realize i was using my old log in crap.

thats kinda a big sig might wana check regs on it maby make it 2 seperate colums

and are u trying to run all 4 hdds together as a sing raid 0 drive? i dont know if that works like that. just run the 2 raptors as a raid 0 and back up ur important stuff on ur 160's. u'll see a nice improvement in game load times if ur worried about data loss raid 1 might not be a bad idea its faster with redundancy. but total of 74 gigs instead of 148. dont need a big drive as main drive big drives should be for storage.

I ended up installing the raptors @raid0. I removed the seagates. I'm not sure if I will use them for anything. I did get a nice increase in banwidth, raptors are reading 106m where the seagates read 73m. 30m is'nt really that much, but the raptor are faster than the seagate no matter what.

P.S I edited my sig, should conform now.

Thanks for you help

thanks for editing that for me. Where do you see two nicks. I only have one :)

Back