• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My PSU and Amps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Okay...i know there are amp ratings that have to do with the different PSU lines. But what is the "recommended" amount for these ratings? Like for my say 3.3v. line....how many amps should it deliver under load? here is a link to a spec sheet of my PSU http://www.home2000.net/client/fspgroupusacom/proddetail.asp?linenumber=77 the amp specs are at the bottom of the page...

...could someone tell me what the diagram at the bottom means and how to "read" it properly? iv checked out the one sticky in this forum area to see if that would help but it didnt provide the forumla to get my wattage output.

Fortron 350, solid, but a little weak for your system.
yes that diagram is a bit confusing, but that's it's extended ratings, look up the PSU on newegg or something, they should have a simpler listing of its rails.

i already checked newegg...they have the amp ratings from the forton's specs of full load amps. and Tom, so if this PSU is a little weak for my system...will it prolly cause problems if i OC my system? (damn should have went with a strong PSU in the first place!)

don't the a64 suck up a lot of power once you start o/cing??
the psu will causes problems if
1. the rails don't hold up under load
2. not enough juice in it to run everything. ex. a 9800p, ram, and an a64 o/ced
however, it shouldn't cause problems if you are doing minor o/cing but if you start cookin' then i would sugguest a more powerful psu.
that happened to my old pos psu.
my new one holds the rails within +-.02 volts from what i have them set both under load and idle:D
good luck!

AT is right that PSU may work for now but you start hanging a bunch of fans another drive or two and then OC it. I guarantee before you can say "reboot" you will be running into some problems.

hahah alright guys thanks! by the way...what are these adjustable rails i always hear of...is that like manually adjusting the power ur rails give out? and hows that work?

jcw122 said:
hahah alright guys thanks! by the way...what are these adjustable rails i always hear of...is that like manually adjusting the power ur rails give out? and hows that work?
ah yeah, inside most good brand PSU's there are variable resistors that, when properly adjusted, can incresase the voltage output on different rails. so if your +12 or +3.3 is low, you open up the PSU, look for the VR's, and turn them usually counterclockwise, and the voltages will go up. you should look around for a guide for your specific PSU first though. The Fortron PSU's pretty much all have those adjustments, and a lot of people have done them.

hmm thanks guys ill check that out! by the way...im not sure if my PSU has active PFC...is that bad? and also...wont opening up ur PSU void ur warrenty :/

jcw122 said:
hmm thanks guys ill check that out! by the way...im not sure if my PSU has active PFC...is that bad? and also...wont opening up ur PSU void ur warrenty :/
active PFC doesnt really do that much, it's supposed to provide 'cleaner' power, and also eliminates the 110/230V switch, but really doesnt mean that much.
and yes, it does....but who has to know that?

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
and yes, it does....but who has to know that?

NOBODY! but yeah they have those leetle stickers that show evidence of tampering...so yuppers...unless there is another way in

jcw122 said:
NOBODY! but yeah they have those leetle stickers that show evidence of tampering...so yuppers...unless there is another way in
ohh, hmm, peel it off carefully or partially. ive never had a PSU with such a sticker.

hmm...mabe its just me but i thought i saw one on mine...ill check again sometime

stryder2720 said:
Please read this
If you break it its your fault.
ah yes, if you open it up and mess with it, and it dies because of what you did, it's not cool to send it back. but i believe if you mess with it, and it dies for an unrelated reason, you can send it back legitamately

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
ah yes, if you open it up and mess with it, and it dies because of what you did, it's not cool to send it back. but i believe if you mess with it, and it dies for an unrelated reason, you can send it back legitamately
You open it up and mess with it there will be no warranty.

yup! thats true...as long as u open it up...DONT TOUCH IT (as in not mod it and stuff) and then it dies cause of unrelated reasons....then ur cool...cause if u mod it and it doesnt die cause of that...they'll prolly blame u lol...but then again this thread isnt really about modding

EDIT: oops just noticed this is just what strider said lol

Last edited:
Germany's C'T magazine said XP2400+ systems with NVidia ti500 graphics cards drew about 9-12A @ +3.3V, 2-4A @ +5V, and 9A @ +12V. For mobos that instead used +5V to run the CPU, the figures were 12-14A @ +3.3V, 17-19A @ +5V, and 2A @ +12V.

One thing to watch out for when you start adjusting your rails.
Some PSU like my 400w Fortron have the +12v and +5v from the same
source ... one adjustment pot for both.

Back