• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

World's most pimped 386?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AtomicGuY

Is this a pimped Intel 386 Machine?

Intel 386 DX-33 @ 50MHz
20MB Ram
10GB Maxtor 7200rpm Hard Drive
TNT2 32MB PCI
SBLive! FULL PCI
10/100 ethernet isa
and so on...

Plays GL Quake with a steady 46fps with 640x480x16 and everything set to max and all extra enhancements installed.

DetXP is installed, before, I had gotten 40fps, so thats a 6fps jump with the TNT2!

The processor was overclocked 17MHz and I installed a heatsink which wasnt there before. but its still fanless!

EDIT!: R.I.P, see my post below...

Last edited:
AtomicGuY said:
Is this a pimped Intel 386 Machine?

Intel 386 DX-33 @ 50MHz
20MB Ram
10GB Maxtor 7200rpm Hard Drive
TNT2 32MB PCI
SBLive! FULL PCI
10/100 ethernet isa
and so on...

Plays GL Quake with a steady 46fps with 640x480x16 and everything set to max and all extra enhancements installed.

DetXP is installed, before, I had gotten 40fps, so thats a 6fps jump with the TNT2!

The processor was overclocked 17MHz and I installed a heatsink which wasnt there before. but its still fanless!

Err.. What does "pimped" mean? Haven't seen that word in overclockers forums before. :rolleyes:

Well, it looks like the end of this CPUs life has come.

Yesterday evening, I came down stairs to find the computer screen displaying a bunch of garbled text. So I turned the thing off then back on and nothing happened.

To cut to the point, the CPU burnt out from (lifespan;) ) and it took the SB Live and the TNT2 with it:(

OMG, this is a sad day for me.

AtomicGuY said:
Well, it looks like the end of this CPUs life has come.

Yesterday evening, I came down stairs to find the computer screen displaying a bunch of garbled text. So I turned the thing off then back on and nothing happened.

To cut to the point, the CPU burnt out from (lifespan;) ) and it took the SB Live and the TNT2 with it:(

OMG, this is a sad day for me.

nooooo...thats horrible....you sure the SBLive and TNT2 are dead?

yeah man,

I tested the TNT2 on an old Pentium system that I got and the card never took off.

The Sound Blaster also has the same issue but this time, there is init bad hardware failure under Windows98. I have two of the same identical sound blasters so I just decided to swap them and thats when I noticed:(

The 386 must of shorted out some of the boards when it went. That kinda scares me cause its got me thinking, what will happen when the day comes that my Athlon shorts out:mad: :eek:

I'm worried now and I think I'm going to start turning the PCs off to save there precious lives. LOL, too bad the warrenty is void on all the parts:beer:

hmm, RMA? LOL

i think this is a total lie

firstoff, im not sure that PCI even EXISTED back durring the 386 era...

i NEVER saw a 386 motherboard with PCI slots, EISA maybe, VLB maybe, but NOT PCI

furthermore, even if by some chance they DID make a PCI board for the 386, it would NOT be PCI 2.0 or 2.1 spec which these cards REQUIRE to operate. I tried like hell to make tnt 2 pci and geforce 2 MX cards to work in older pentium systems, but they would not because they were not PCI 2.1 spec PCI slots

this is a total sham

Load of BS.

tnt2 requires pci 2.1
iirc the earliest pci was on the 486, in pci 2.0 spec and didnt have full bandwidth capabilities.

there were no pci chipsets for the 386.

10gb is over the maximum the board will support.

sblive also requires 2.1

nice joke though :)

Joke?

what are you talking about, there was many motherboards that had PCI compatibility based on 486 systems.

The motherboard that I have is a 486 board with a socket for a 386 chip if one does not have a 486. So essentially, there is two sockets on the motherboard for CPUs, one for a 386 and one for a 486.

When Pentiums came out, PCI became impleted in 486s and I got a 486 board and I'm using the 386 socket on that board.

I dont know what you are talking about, PCI 2.1 compatibilty???? I think thats a load of BS since I've never had an PCI issue ever throughout the 386/486 and pentiums that I've had. BTW, all my cards are PCI2.0, so even u say 2.1, It wouldnt have matter anyway.

As for the hard drive, I simply used a daughter card since 486 boards do not have the IDE built onto them. I simply got a Promise ISA IDE card.

tensop,

"tnt2 requires pci 2.1
iirc the earliest pci was on the 486, in pci 2.0 spec and didnt have full bandwidth capabilities."

-I dont know what your talking about, this Creative Blaster TNT2 that I have worked perfect in my 486 motherboard, no issues what so ever.

"there were no pci chipsets for the 386."

-Ya well who said I had a 386 motherboard. It is a 486 motherboard with universal compatibility to support the 386 processor and also has a socket for the 387.

"10gb is over the maximum the board will support"

-LOL, 486s had IDE built on??? I think you've been taking way to many pills man. All 486 motherboards required external IDE support. I was lucky to come around and get ahold of an UDMA33 ISA IDE card which had 4 IDE support. Infact, most people needed to hook there cd-roms to the sound blasters IDE port (EX: Sound Blaster 16 ISA has IDE channel). This was not an option for me with SBlive so I had to go with the 2 channel.

"sblive also requires 2.1"

-Wrong, it clearly states on my Sound Blaster Live box (Original) that it supports PCI2.0.

Last edited:
Well.

Well one obvious flaw in his story is the fact that he's using a 387 math co-processor on there seeing as how DX chips already have them built into the processor.

Back