• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5.1 speakers don't go well with LCD monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reyn

here is what I cam up with, a piece of "L" shaped metal + some 3M tapes

spe_mod.jpg

TollhouseFrank said:
i hung all mine up on the walls around the room. If i could just hide the unsightly wire....

i use to do that with my center speaker, but instead being hunged, it's sticked to the wall with 3M tapes.

how are you guys hanging them on the wall? id like to do that, but I am in an apartment. I dont wanna screw up the walls cuz they will screw me when i move out. How does that 3M tape do on the wall? Will it come off cleanly?

I saw some 3m hooks that used a special 3m tape that was strong and left no residue. I got two of them I think, I never used them yet. One of my friends did and he said it worked but his satilites were pretty small and light.

yeah i just put mine on the wall above the LCD, you have a window but it still looks pretty good. If you have a dremel I would cut that piece of metal hanging out the back.

i was allowed, so i just drilled into the wall.... if i had no other choice, i woulda used clear boxing tape (very strong, easy to 'hide')

Thats the prob with the z-5300's. I had to go to RadioShack and get 2 6-foot RCA cables and 2 12-foot RCA cables and 4 RCA couplers. RCA extention cables with male and female ends would be better, but the Shack doesn't sell any...nor did any other store :( Anyways you can get gold plated ones cheap from AllElectronics.com (and get a s-video cable with them too) for about the same price, but I wanted them fast.

/threadjack

I don't think having the single speaker behind the corner of the LCD would really make a difference, other than just not looking 'perfect'. 15 degrees off center for the center channel isn't really noticeable IMO. Luckly I don't have such an issue, since my Diamondtron has a nice flat spot in the back.

If I get 5.1 speakers, I'm considering doing something I saw in BestBuy ironicly and using PVC pipe to attach the speakers to, and then having them hang behind my ears. Run the wire through the pipe, all done :)

my attempt is to make it look as perfect as possible. besides, having the center speaker in the wrong place ruins the sound (especially in dolby 5.1 and DTS)

when i live in a dorm, i basically lift up my bed to about 5 feet high, and then put my computer stuff under there, and set up my 5.1 speakers on each side of the bed. so basically i live in a lil cube in teh corner.

Back