• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How safe is AGP voltage 1.65

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

behling

Registered
i read in the overclocking IC7 Guide. and they said that upping the agp voltage to 1.65 woudl give you a better performance. my question is, would it harm the VGA card. and how would i noe if the card can take it. also is it worth the upping of voltage to 1.65 would it give a tremandous difference in overal stability?

Increasing AGP voltage "sometimes" helps a little when pushing the O/C limits. I have ran 1.6v for months and that don't seem to hurt anything (I use ATI Radeon cards).

I have found the increased agp voltage helps when trying to reach very high fsb (over 300fsb)... typically i run my agp voltage between 1.7 and 1.8v (with a vmod) and have had no problems at all with my 9800xt.

i run mine @ 1.8 have usually kept it pretty high and havent had a problem yet.

if anything i think youd take some life from the chipset rather than the videocard since the videocard powers its gpu independantly and the vagp setting mostly powers the chipset to add to the bus speed of the actual agp slot. an example is raising your vagp setting wont net you a higher oc on your gpu or vram but it could help you raise your agp bus from 66 to 70.

it will usually give you a higher oc since it will allow the chipset to perform better (provided its cooled properly) which can net you some extra fsb provided the chipset is what was previously holding you back (which can happen quite a bit when dealing with lower locked multi cpus ie; p4 2.4 or a64 2800 just to name a few.

Last edited:
See my sig. If I keep mine at the default 1.55V the system sometimes hangs when doing a warm reboot. At 1.6V there are no problems at all and it's been this way for half a year now. I have watercooling on the northbridge though...

About the AGP card; it seems to me that the AGP Voltage is only really the Voltage on the interface cuz today's cards draw their power from a separate molex connector.

Back