• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh no, what can I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FyreDaug

I have an AMD 2100xp palamino chip that fried and I tried to RMA it from the place I bought it, they said I needed the cpu fan. And I couldnt find it, so for 2 weeks I was looking for it. And I finally found it so they could verify that it was a retail purchase (1yr up to 3yr warranty) but since I "modified" the fan a little bit I ended up cutting the end off (3 plug) to use for another fan. And they said they wont warranty it because a) the end is cut off and b) theres no retail HS included.

I think that is BS, because I'm not trying to get a new fan from AMD, im not trying to get a HS either. I thought they should just need the cpu fan to verify that the cpu was purchased retaily so they could give me 3 yrs warranty

The retailer told me they cant do anything more, if they package it and send it back AMD will look at it and send it back without warranty.

I dont know what to do, I dont wanna fork over more money if this is still a legit RMA. So what if its missing the end and HS? I dont need them...

Try to contact AMD directly via phone or email. explain your situation and see what the tell you.

Keep in mind that by overclocking the processor you really voided your warranty anyways. If you tell them the truth they might give you a new one. I fried a ti 4200 from bfg once told them I oveclocked the hell out of it and that when it died it was not oced, (in a friends rig) and they sent me a new one anyways. Sometimes it pays to tell the truth. :)

Edit: Though I agree that by changing the fan header that should not void your warranty amd might say that the chip died due to low fan speed. I assume you attached the fan to a rheostat or the like.

By changing the fans that wont void your warrenty. overclocking will. i guess u could tel them the truth, of course not the full truth...tell em no vcore, just fsb or something, maybe they will send u a new one if u get a nice rep

amd are a good company if it still is under warranty the will replace it. call them directly and i bet they will be ok with your situation. ive dealt with them directly b4 in a similiar situation and the replaced it no problem

Whenever you RMA something, you need to send it back in the same condition you bought it in... and you need to send back EVERYTHING you bought it with. If it came boxed with a fan/heatsink... That's what you need to return it with.

A lot of companies require the original packaging as well.

Of course, your AMD warranty is still valid, but warranties take forever to get your stuff returned.

nicknomo said:
Whenever you RMA something, you need to send it back in the same condition you bought it in... and you need to send back EVERYTHING you bought it with. If it came boxed with a fan/heatsink... That's what you need to return it with.

A lot of companies require the original packaging as well.

Of course, your AMD warranty is still valid, but warranties take forever to get your stuff returned.

Very true for that. they take FOREVER. they sure dont rush it =(

Back