• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't decide on which card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crash013

I can't decide between the BFG 6600 GT OC'd and the XFX 6600 GT. The BFG costs 348 and the XFX costs 310. I've read reviews about them and there doesn't seem to be a clear winner. The BFG has a slight overclock and has a much better warranty and tech support. But there are many people who would get the XFX any day. Would I be better off spending a little more for the BFG?

You can find a nice 6800NU for abou 350$ if you are lucky and that should be a better card then the 660GT. Unless your going pci-express.

crash013 said:
I can't decide between the BFG 6600 GT OC'd and the XFX 6600 GT. The BFG costs 348 and the XFX costs 310. I've read reviews about them and there doesn't seem to be a clear winner. The BFG has a slight overclock and has a much better warranty and tech support. But there are many people who would get the XFX any day. Would I be better off spending a little more for the BFG?

you gotta be quoting Canadian prices and the BFG is simply not worth the extra cost imho. The XFX is a solid card I would pick it clearly based on cost. What are the odds you will have the card in say 2 yrs prolly slim.

ck

Yes those are Canadian prices. I guess you're right Cisco. Also this card is agp 8x. My motherboard only supports agp 4x, so I will be able to run this card except it will only be at 4x correct? And is there a big drop in performance if its at 4x??

Last edited:
Yes you will be able to run the card in your 4x mobo. It should run fine at 4x, as it is the same voltage as 8x. There will not be a big drop in performance, only a minor one, if any at all. If you play newer games, there will be a bigger hit than with older ones, but still not that great of drop. It should be fine.

I'm planning on playing World of Warcraft. How much do you think the drop in fps would be. Thanks for the reply.

the OC from the maufacturer is nothing special. its only 10mhz faster over the other ones on the core. my card (check sig) came at 370/1000. if i am not mistaken the 6800 GT 256 NON BFG OC comes 360/1000. someone correct me if i am wrong.

the heat sink on the BFG is crazy though. you gotta see mine. i am gonna take some pics. i have never seen this before. i cant find a pic of it anywhere on any site.. its like chrome with copper bottom with two fans. crazy..

Evnas said:
Not true. AGP 1.0 (2x) was 3.3v, AGP 2.0 (4x) is 1.5V, and AGP 3.0 (8x) is 0.8v

...exactly right, I had the same prob with my mobo being only 4X compatible. The card must be 4X compatible, yes it can also be 8X, but IT MUST BE 4X compatible. If the mobo is pumping out 1.5V on your AGP slot cause it's 4X, and you drop in an 8x card with no 4X support, you'll either fry the card, or it just won't work...

I would get the 6600GT and with the money you save get a new board so that then you would have a kicking game system.

GET THE XFX BOARD!!! I guarantee it will overclock to the same levels, if not greater than the BFG OC board. In fact, I feel that the XFX board is a better part, as they went all out and included DUAL DVI outputs, something that is typically reserved for boards costing many times more. (Yes, the standard VGA adapters are included as well) Don't waste the extra money for the BFG. The cooler they have on it isn't much better either.

Back