• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newcastle voltage.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

Hey,

I'm a little confused about suitable max vCore for a Newcastle core 64bit.
I used to Bartons, Palaminos, and Thorougbreds which don't seem bothered by 1.8v with decent aircooling.

However I'm not sure what to put through my Newcastle, I'm sure I read somewhere that someone said "Once I get watercooling I might even push my vcore to 1.7v".

So whats safe and whats not?

:burn:

I have been on air with mine sence day one and I find 1.69 to be prefect for me but I have tried 1.73ish didnt helped just made thing's worse. But I have been running 1.69-1.71 for about 4 month's 24\7 folding with no problem's @ all with water you may be able to run a higher vcore but temp's will skyrocket after to much vcore @ least's that's what they do for me after 1.72.

Well I saw the AMD document and they recommend up to 1.65v but state that at a higher voltage you are reducing the life of the chip. But what I feel is it shouldn't reduce the chip's life that much and there are people running with 1.7v so I wouldn't really worry about it.

Chips will vary though as some may get killed with higher voltages I think.

I personally have run up to 1.725v but didn't hold it there as it didn't help much. Will need a new PSU before trying to push the chip again.

I just got a 480W Anten True Blue so I'm hoping my PSU related stability issues are all gone now. So once I get decent cooling and my new RAM arrives I can get oc-ing this baby!

Back