• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I configure my client with the -advmethods flag.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, if you're not running the current version of F@H, I suggest you click on the link in my sig and install the newest F@H version. advmethods will give you only GROMACS cores (Although I have seen some farily high-point TINKERs flying around), and is enabled by default in Wedo's install. You also might want to consider throwing bigpackets on if you have a high performance rig, mainly because I hear people grabbing the 600 pointers with bigpackets on.

Actually, -advmethods just makes it "more" likely to get a Beta, might have early ends and ****, but also "usualy" gives better points...
Another thing that might be worth mentioning, is if possible to allow for big workunits, since they to are boosted a bit in points...

And finaly, the answer to the question, IF your running it as a service, open regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ , start looking for FAH@ something...
Mine is:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FAH@C:+Folding@home+FAH502-Console.exe

Find the key "ImagePath" and add -advmethods
(Again, mine stands as example)
C:\Program Files\Folding@home\FAH502-Console.exe -svcstart -local -forceasm -verbosity 9 -advmethods

If your NOT running it as a service, just ad the switches you like to the shortcut your using to start it with.

(short explanation, on the switches in my example, the once i select to use, more or less correct.)

svcstart = service
local = makes it possible to run more then one on a single rig, usefull for duals, quads, and Hyperthreading, NOT for AMD's with 1 cpu only, you guys are faster running a single thread
forceasm = disregards improper shutdowns, makes the klient allways run at optimim, pretty much usless, just a old remnant i still have in there..
verbosity 9 = more info in the text window/logfile
advmethods = as said previuesly, lets you run betas, for a few possible extra scores, warning tho, keep an eye on it, sometimes betas are good, sometimes they are bad, they are just that, betas, early ends, cost cpu power, that is just "wasted"

B!

*quickly complies*

Remeber, with -configonly you do just that... configure the darn thing.. make sure team number is 32 *- )

B!

You need to make a SHORTCUT to the console.exe. Right click the shortcut and get properties, in the TARGET line you need to add -advmethods AFTER the quotes with one space before the -advmethods. Example:

"C:\Program Files\FAH\FAH1\FAH502-Console.exe" -advmethods

Back