• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hard drive question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterCraft

Ok, I just upgraded to the system in my sig, and I pulled the IDE 40 gig maxtor out of my old computer and put it into the new one. the drive's operating system is corrupt, but the data on the drive is still good (music, pictures, some other stuff I want to keep). However, when I put it in as a master, it says hard drive error, but it does read it in the bios. If I put it in as a slave it doesn't read the drive at all.

My raptor drive is the main drive, I know IDE's are read as the primary drives but I need it to read as a secondary drive, just so i can get stuff off of it, but it doesnt read it at all unless it's a master

what am I doing wrong?

IDE can be read as master or slave - what ever you set it at- have you checked the jumper pins?

tried it on a diff. IDE channel?

Mr.Guvernment said:
IDE can be read as master or slave - what ever you set it at- have you checked the jumper pins?

tried it on a diff. IDE channel?

I need to boot off my raptor though, the OS is bad on the maxtor, but I need files off of it. so booting off that drive is no good. but it doesnt read as a slave so it tries to boot off the maxtor.

Make sure the raptor is set as master and the 40gb drive is set as slave. Right now, the raptor could be set to something else like cable select or single rather than master. Sometimes without a second drive on the IDE channel, they have to be set to single, which is what the raptor could be set to.

Dc5e,
Make sure the raptor is set as master and the 40gb drive is set as slave. Right now, the raptor could be set to something else like cable select or single rather than master.

The Raptor is a SATA device and has no master or cable select.

Last edited:
ok, I have a raptor on sata 1, which reads on the mobo as the third primary master. it's the one my OS is installed on.

I have the maxtor drive in IDE 1. when I put it in as a master, it tries to boot off it, which doesn't work because the OS is bad on it. (but the files i want off it are not)

If i set it as a slave, it doesnt read the drive at all, in bios or otherwise.

I need it to read it as a slave, so what am I doing wrong? (hopefully that cleared up the confusion of the other posts)

Ok what about taking the Maxtor on IDE as Master and setting the partition inactive.

I assume you have the boot order set to SATA as your HD.

Tmod

i know on my AI7 i can choose a "boot order" and specify my 74g raptor..

Any chance you can get or know of anyone with external case??

I fixed it, but theres another problem.

there was a seperate option that allowed me to chose which drive to add to the boot order, which i chose the raptor, then the maxtor.

after that it booted into windows fine, only now I can't access the drive because it says its not formatted.

the drive is NTFS just like my current setup is, the file systems match, is my data lost or is there something i can do without formatting it?

Try Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc and see if you can either Initialize Disk or Import Foreign Disk. Any other options risk data loss.

Xaotic said:
Try Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc and see if you can either Initialize Disk or Import Foreign Disk. Any other options risk data loss.

I don't see either of those options, it says the drive is healthy and online, but won't read the space usage, but does give the size of the drive.

edit: looks like the drive doesn't have a partition, which is very strange. God I hope thats not it, I have 3 years of data on this HD that I need :(

Well just for the hell of it go to this link and try out the free version. It won't recover the files but it will show you what is recoverable.

Tmod

^^ if that one dont work try the trial version of R-tools :D

are you using WIndows Xp / 2k? Xp pro or home?

I don't know that much about drive architechture, but it's not reading it as having a file system at all. Is my data lost? :(

edit: The E: drive is the drive in question

Attachments

• HD.JPG
    HD.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 77
As long as you don't write anything to the hard drive the data will still be there.

What worry's me is the free space is being reported the same as total space available.

Tmod

Tmod said:
As long as you don't write anything to the hard drive the data will still be there.

What worry's me is the free space is being reported the same as total space available.

Tmod

Yeah the data should be there, but the question is how do I get it off the drive without formatting it

Why don't you try accessing it through DOS and see if it can be read.

Here is a link to a utility that makes the boot disk with all the files already on it. Just make the disk and boot with it and it autoexec's the NTFS reader.

EDIT:Here is a freeware recovery program. Don't know how well it works but it is worth a try.

Tmod

Last edited:
Back