• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New VGA Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syberspy9

Hey guys well now that we have cards like the 6600GT (AGP i have)
what are we going to do to cool them?

Stock coolers have improved over the years, but only as fast as the chips put out more heat.

So i have a Chaintec 6600GT AGP in the mail on its way to me as we speak.
Withthisnew chip on the AGP vertions the 2 cores so far apart make it a bit odd.
and i am thinking right now as of how i want to cool the card.
At first i though i was going to use my ocz ram rinks for the DDR3 but now i think im even going to have to find better ram cooling.
Im going to have to get some measurments but so far my plan is going to make one big HS for all but the ram.
im going to have to find a big tall heatsink and cut it with a jig saw to make it fit just right then grind it down so its all smooth.

were can i buy a big heatsink that i can then cut to the size i want?
im not shure if i want to use Aluminum or Copper (and if Aluminum mabey black coated.... hmh im not really shure my mobo is orange my cpu hs is all copper but my south bridge and north bridge heatsinks are black... it would help if the card wasent blue lol im not shure, i want it to look good, i think i will go copper.

so i want a big copper heatsink and i dont want it short i want it to be fairly tall ( 1 1/2 inches seems to be right after checking with my mobo and agp slot)

So im looking for a copper heatsink tahts 1 1/2" tall and um im not shure on the other dimentions yet.
the with the final cuts it should looklike this.

so no ram sinks just one big heatsink and i think i should be able to mount a fan with some screws into the fins of the heatsink.

i looked at every thing even that new zalmen but its not what i want.

if this all worksout then is there a way i can make a bracket? i think i should use more than artic adheasive.
so to make a brackit i would just line it up drill 2 holes throught the HS andthen use screws like that zalme? hmh this should be interesting (i wont be doing it for a while i want to have it all worked out before i start.

Attachments

• core.JPG
    core.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 260
maybe if you use a thick rubber band and put it through the fans in the HS and stretch it to either side of the card...then use a pencil on the other side of the card to hold to 2 ends of the rubber band it would give you a short term solution.I dount the HS would get hot enough to burn the rubber,and rubber wont conduct electricity...so it might work.

LOL no i think i will use a bracket i just need to sort ofthinout how its going to work i think the bracket on the back will have to be a peice of plastic with2 holes.

hmh sounds like u didnt read my post......
... here is the section ur looking for
"i looked at every thing even that new zalmen but its not what i want."

DSCF0059.jpg
I have two, they're 3 and a half inches in length, 2 and half inches in width, and about 2 and half inches in height.
They came from two dells, that have the duct type cooling design.

my bad...I thought you had no holes to work with and had to figure out how to keep the HS in place temporarily without using any screws.

Edit:I am soooooo dumb! I just re-read your post,and all I can say to defend myself is that it was really late when I made my reply....do you buy that?

Last edited:
You could get a Xeon 1U copper heatsink & drill holes to match the stock heatsink's mounting pattern & attach it to the core & then take a small heatsink & somehow attach it to the bridge chipset. A pin fin style 486 or northbridge fan should work. Possibly you may be able to position the heatsink so that it covers the bridge chip as well as the core... You'll have to test out some stuff but thats what I'd try.

EDIT: noticed the two holes by the bridge chip. That'll make it easy to mount a heatsink there.

You need some weird support for such cooler - it will be >1kg I think.
You could check my comp pics as I have modded cooler for VGA. I went with low-profile alu AMD cooler for 70x70 fan to have minimal weight, and it already looks huge andheavy.

I think that you'll get the best results with fan blowing from one side of cooler to another. Putting fan on centre of heatsink isn't the best idea. If I make new cooler, it will have airflow from side to side.

Are GPU andmem on one level? If not it will be problematic to make one-part cooler.

good point Ven0m about the hight of gpu and ram ( i dont know if there the same hight) but i have solved that problim already (if they are differnt hights) i will use those little soft peices of copper to fill the gaps (it will be fine im not worryed about that)

Hmh well i have been thinking all day and now that you pointed the 1kg thing out im prety shure i wana go aluminum it will be much lighter and 1kg isant safe i dont think...

So im still going to make it the same just aluminum... but i dont want the natural color i want it to be black i think or if i can find that aluminum taht is a copper color.
i will have to look abround and see what i can find.

but is there any online heatsink makers that make somthing that big??

hmhim really not shure i mean zalmens cooler (copper) is 850g and 1kg is 1000g so i think the card would be fine if it used all 4 mounting holes.
but aluminum will be fine.... god i really dont know hmh zalmens cooler is OK... but it didnt do as good as i thought it would andi want myn to beat zalmens cooler or match it....

I don't say that copper is bad, but it has pretty bad heat transfer to weight ratio. You would have to make some kind of supports mounted to case, holding this rad or card.

I have no idea where you could get all-copper heatsink of such size. But you could buy some copper plate and copper sheets and solder a heatsink. There's heat transfer resistance in soldering points, but most of copper heatsinks are made this way. Milling is too expensive.

You could probably use copper base + alu fins, but I heard that alu is terrible to solder, so you'd need some research.

Huge alu radiators - you can get them, but not as computer parts. They are common for power amplifiers and you can get really big ones and cut to proper size. Check some electronics shops, eventually aks in one or ask someone who makes power amplifiers(for audio systems for example). Such heatsinks are relatively cheap, buthave one major fault... They are designed to run passive. This means big, rare fins usually around 2cm heigh and around 5-10mm spacing.

Other problem with huge alu rads is that they have problems with transfering heat in critical places - around GPU in this case. That's why mostof manufacturers of alu heatsinks for comps use copper plates. So if you found a reliable way of linking copper with alu, you could make copper plate with huge alu rad or set of rads.

Old P4/Celeron boxed rads seem to be pretty good. I think that huge copper plate with set of P4 rads might work pretty nice with good performance to weight ratio + you could make some kind of cover and mount fan on side for maximizing performance and utilized radiator surface.

So thats how I see this:
You get copper plate around 3-5mm high (that weights pretty much, as copper is a lil more than 8g/mm^3) and around 4 old P4/Celeron rads (cheapos). You can lower base of these coolers to minimize weight.
You prepare this copper plate to fit your card (and add mounting places) and drill holes in it and rads in place where capacitors and other cards stuff goes. Then it's time to mount these rads to cooler. If soldering doesn't work, thermal paste + screws will do job. If soldering can be performed - I'd put some soldering powder (or some other soldering compound) between copper plate and rad, put screws, heat thing to melt and screw, eventually there might be no need to use screws. You might need some torch, as soldering irons used for electronics won't be enough to heat it.

And ther should be some mounting for fan on side, to make it blow along heatsink. This can be made from metal sheets, plexi (bends nicely when warmed + can be glued) or other materials. This would give nice performance, lower total cooler height and give direct exhaust outside case.

// EDIT //
As base instead of copper plate you might use one of these flat heatpipes. They're pretty hard to get, but will outperform copper.

Last edited:
Sorry Ven0m but thats just to much for me man i jsut dont really go That deep into it myself i more of a buy the heat sink them work my self as how im going to fit it.

but i will take some of that info on rads and electronic shops and the fan going side ways
but why not mount a fon onto the heatsink?

um any one have any idea of what the dimentions would be of that heatsink if i were to make it???

like the lenght or width (not the hight of the fins but like the dimentions of the are it covers on the card.... :eh?:

O andmore thermal resistance is a good thing right??? for a heatsink.....

Last edited:
Hehe, I jsut have bunch of crazy ideas, often too weird for most :D

Dimensions - get ruler or something.
thermal resistance - less is better

fan on heatsink - you can mount it this way of course, but there are a few problems then:

1. total height increases a lot
2. as total height increases, it may have problems with suckng air if you have some sound card or other
3. there's dead spot under centre of fan, air "left to fan" goes left, "right to fan" goes right" and "between left and right" there's almost no airflow; there's also more turbulency in airflow (that means less airflow and more noise)

That's why I suggested mounting at end of cooler. This could be mounted like in silencers, ortogonally or with some angle. Of course you can mount it as on CPU heatsinks, but expect problems which I listed. If you decide to do so, at least don't put it on top of GPU, but move it towards one of ends.

ok well i am thinking about buying this for my video card then i will drill (with a very small bit) the mounting holes and will hold it to the vidoe card.
i will alo use some artic adheasive and if i can im going to get a copper plate to go under heatsink between the core.

i will probably mount a fan.

im going to wait untill i get my ccard then i will make sure all the dementions are right and every thing.

http://www.thermaflo.com/bin/exdatasht.pl?Pnum=e1353&LengthUnits=in&ExLength=5.00

This one looks really good. But when making holes - remember - it requires HIGH precision when drilling and threading. The best would be to have driller with some stand. Try to match placement of holes on heatsink to ones on card possibly perfectly, any error even around 1/10mm will introduce problems, but it can be done, as you see.

ya the thing is i dont have a drill press but for cristmass i got a dril and a drill set.
im shure i will be fine i try to do the best jobv i can.
I still am waiting for my card to be shipped (orrdered it on the 24th ugh) and then im going to take the exact dimentions and then customize the size of the heatsink if i can mabey they will make on the size i want.
the thremal resistance seems good and thats withought any fan so i will be loving this when its done mounted with a fan.

Back