• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

network password

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dkdgbroyles

How do I create a password so that on my other connected computer, it will ask for a password to share a file on this one? This computer uses xp,the other is using ME. The ME computer is easy to set up a password. Having problems with xp.

disable simple file sharing. this can be done in folder options.

create a new share on the XP box. Then you will want to set permissions on the share.

I just don't see that option under file options. I'm I looking in the wrong spot?

I know it is not there, folder options/view. I looked and double looked. But I did set up a password to log into windows. Let me tell you what I'm trying to do. What I'm trying to do is if for some reason if someone is to hack into my network,they will have to find out my password to access my files. I know I set up a password in the ME box. Will the password I just set up in the xp box ask for the password if someone from the outside got in to my network? thanks.

in your situtation, it would be best to just share a directory and not the whole drive. I don't know what you've shared so I'm assuming the worst-case scenario.

There are what they call administrative shares and they are always turned on by default unless you've disabled them. If you have admin accounts, ensure that they have good solid passwords, using characters/numbers/symbols and at least 10 characters long. Should also be changed once every 30-45 days. Disable any unused accounts.

For the most part, XP will ask for a password when a share is accessed if the user is not identified and simple file sharing is turned off.

You don't have this option in your folder options? :

Attachments

• folder.jpg
    folder.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 58
No, I don't have that for some reason. I'm using home xp. Is there something I need to enable to get that simple file sharing? Or do you have xp pro?I also don't have that last tab, offline files.

Yes I am using Pro, and Offline files is a feature of Pro, and I know home doesn't have the same networking features of Pro, thats prably why you can't do it.

Ok, what do I need to do to get atleast close to the same protection as pro? The password I set up, would it prompt for a password if someone got into my computer?

dkdgbroyles said:
The password I set up, would it prompt for a password if someone got into my computer?

I don't think it will, I think you're gonna have to look into a 3rd party app to password protect folders in this case. I will look around and see if I can come up with something.

If someone with more knowledge in XP Home has any ideas, please shoot away, I've only got Pro so its a shot in the dark for me.

Back