• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI UT 250GB RAM questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jay-jay

Hi,

I just bought a DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb, with some GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5.
I downloaded the CPU-Z application and in the memory tab it says "Single" in the memory section. I am just wondering if this should be "Dual" as there are two sticks in there at the moment.
Also what would be the optimum specifications to set for the RAM in the bios to get the most out of it? as i am completely new to fiddling around in the RAM section of the bios and overclocking in general.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the reply :)

Do you have any ideas on what i should set my RAM to in the BIOS to get the most out of it?

there's a ton of options.

cas2.5
trp 3
trcd 3
tras 6

that's the normal 4 that you have probably seen before. Anything lower than that would be considered overclocking. Try lowering one at a time but be prepared to reset the BIOS if your system doesn't POST.

also put CPC to enable.

Welcome to the forums

Thanks a lot for the responce, i will give those a go once i finish formatting and connecting another drive.

How do i manually reset the BIOS? as i was changing the timings in the RAM and now when i boot up i get two long posts and it wont boot into anything. ive never reset the BIOS before so any help would be greatly appreciated,

jay-jay said:
How do i manually reset the BIOS? as i was changing the timings in the RAM and now when i boot up i get two long posts and it wont boot into anything. ive never reset the BIOS before so any help would be greatly appreciated,

Check in the manual. Unplug the system open it up and take the cmos jumper and apply it to the middle and opposing pins. Wait a couple seconds then remove it and put it back where it was. Plug the system back in and power it up.

jay-jay said:
Phew! Thanks guys, got it back to normal :D

Kind of scary isn't it? Wait till you bump something and spend the whole day trying to get it up, finally convinced that you fried it and only find out you did something stupid. Heck I have had ram on many occassions act up when pushed hard and all it needed was to be reseated. It is now kind of old hat but can be scary at times. Usually (as long as you do nothing really silly) it is a minor problem and cmos gets to be a real pain in xxx when attempting oc's.

Yeah, was a bit nerve racking, especially as i have to use my computer for a lot of uni work that i should be doing :p. At least now i know some limits my memory can go to.

At the moment i have my RAM now set at:

CAS 2.5
TRP 3
TRCD 3
TRAS 4

Do you think i should overclock it anymore? when i lowered the TRAS to 3 my computer stopped booting properly and i had to reset the CMOS. Should i increase voltage or anything? or do you think i should keep it as it is?

my RAM is GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5

Put your tRAS back at 6, unless you want data corruption and want to reformat. I have a similar set of memory in a backup rig, 2x256 GeIL PC3200 Value, but haven't used it in the DFI. While this memory actually surprised me with it's abilities (stable at 2.5-3-3-7, 2.75v up to 235MHz), don't expect tighter timings out of it as the ICs were actually designed to run at 2.5-4-4-8 at 200MHz. Play with the other timing options in the BIOS AFTER reading Jess's thread on DFI BIOS RAM settings (why isn't that thread a sticky?).

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=329627

Hmm, i ran memory test for quite a long time and it didnt detect any errors. Should i still set it back to what you said?

What's "quite a long time"? 24hrs may not catch all errors. Test 5 is the most common loop for testing timings, but test 6 may be better for tRAS specifically.

The general rule is not to go tighter than tCL + tRCD + 2, which in your case would be 2.5 + 3 + 2 = ~7. There are always exceptions, especially with AMD boards. For instance, my tRAS is at 00 right now (my sig says 10 right now, but I'm testing 00, 5 & 6 as they're all faster than 10 with my setup). By the previous rule, mine should be at 6 (which is what the SPD reads, even though they were originally advertised for 5). There's a great guide for the detailed meanings of each typical memory timing, but I can't remember where right now. Needless to say, I think you'd be safer staying at 6 or looser until you get a better feel for how your particular set handles in this board.

Back