• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS5 didnt change my temps at all?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fourevercali

Just put AS5 on my p4.30ghz with a zalman 7000cu, i only OC to 3.4 and temps are usually abotu 32 idle, and now there still 32c idle, sometimes even more now. Any reason, is the hole 200 hr thing when it kicks in or, should i try to reapply. I tried to put one small do in the middle, but i kinda put a lot, then i went clockwise with the processor to spread it out? Any ideas on what to do?

Fourevercali said:
Just put AS5 on my p4.30ghz with a zalman 7000cu, i only OC to 3.4 and temps are usually abotu 32 idle, and now there still 32c idle, sometimes even more now. Any reason, is the hole 200 hr thing when it kicks in or, should i try to reapply. I tried to put one small do in the middle, but i kinda put a lot, then i went clockwise with the processor to spread it out? Any ideas on what to do?

More doesn't mean better when applying thermal paste. Use the recommended amount. I'd redo it and then wait the 200 hours.

The Thermal cycles are important to reach maximum efficiency

i personally spread a thin layer of AS5 over the whole IHS on my p4

i put do a zig-zag pattern across it, and then spread it out with a single edged razor blade so it covers the whole IHS

and your temps will drop after the 200+ hour break-in period - so wait until then to see if you need to re-apply

AS5 is pretty nasty to apply. Follow applying guides from forums or Arctic Silver site. Having too much paste is bad. The best would be to have possibly minimal amount. As few as possible, but enough not to leave any "holes".

Ok thx everyone. I knew the directions it was just that i squezed to hard and it just keep coming out, i think i am just going to reapply.

also, you shouldn't use Idle temps to determin how well it works. use Load temps. use a program that will max out your CPU. Such as Crunching for seti ( boinc ) or Folding, or prime 95, or whatever you may have that will cause your cpu to actually work.

hmmm...

well try re-applying it as said before. use less, spread it smooth. use a credit card, an exacto knife.

or, this works for me. take a peice of printer paper, cut or rip a peice off. and fold it. use the folded edge to smear the AS5.

good luck.

Back