• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ok final setup going with 939

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saud

Ok, the nice people on ocforums have conviced me into getting 939 pin 3000+ processor at zipzoomfly for only 161.90 and a SL-K8TPro-939 from newegg for 119 w/shipping = 280.90 , so my specs for my computer that im about to order soon is 3000+ 939 pin, SL-K8TPro-939, 512 Dual Channal ram (duno which one yet, any idea's??) , WD800JB, w/ MSI Ti4200 64 mb ddr, i wanted to know what is the best type of ram that i should use i want to only spend about less than 120 for ram for PC3200 512 Dual channal kit, could you guys post links for me if ya can, thanks alot

Agree that G. Skill PC4400 based on TCCD DRAM chips is good for A64 for reaching high HTT and memory bus, especially using with a 3000+ Winchester with only x9 max multiplier, hence high HTT is very necessary to reach high CPU overclocking (above 2.6 GHz).

To reach 2.6 GHz, it would need a stable HTT of 289 MHz and the above memory module (rated 275 MHz) should have a good chance to run 289 MHz 2.5/3-3/4-3/4-x 1T with 2.x V using 1:1 ratio. If not, a ratio of 5:6 to lower memory bus frequency would also work.

To reach 2.7 GHz, it would need a stable HTT of 300 MHz.

One comment on motherboards, from the results here
939 Winchester, NewCastle
and from other threads,
many setups using the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum have been able to reach high HTT (~280 MHz) and high memory bus (with TCCD based memory) which is necessary in order to overclock the 3000+ above 2.6 GHz.

I have not seen much results about the SL-K8TPro-939, though it is about $20 less than the MSI K8N Neo2.

Also, for the 939 Winchester, try to get one with a more recent week, e.g. week 0444 or later, which seems to be getting higher clock (no guarantee though).

Last edited:
Soltek has a reputation of making some very high quality boards. However, AFAIK, most VIA-based boards have trouble handling HTT speeds in excess of 270MHz. This could very possibly hold you back. So I'd agree in saying you'd be better off with a K8N Neo2 Platinum. If high HTT's weren't necessary, then I'd feel comfortable using a K8T800 Pro-based solution, but with a 9x multiplier, you will probably need HTT speeds of at least 280MHz.

Back