• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

o/c by accident?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

denz_1

I resently tried o/c my computer. Just went into BIOS and changed the fsb to 110 up from 100 and when it restarted it said error or something please select one. "re boot to last knowen stable settings"(or something like that) and gave me another option. Im new to o.c so thought I had broken something so went to restore settings. so I thought nothing had happend. Then I downloaded cpu-z and it showes the FSB had stuck. So I guess there has been an o/c. There hasnt been any significant heat rise. (In nz were comming into summer) So should I keep on doing what I did?
Just very disconcerting to have a warning warning reset thing

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 166
it seems that the error you got was from Windows Xp, cause if it shouldve restarted the settings in the mobo, then it wouldnt be overclocked.
keep overclocking, even if its by accident :cool:

Just ramped it up to 120mhz fsb. And it didnt like it much. It randomly restarted just when I got into windows. So I went and changed it to 115fsb and now its 1 degree hotter than at 100mhz FSB acording to mbm5 I have nothing to really test it with tho.

lol I did right after I did the post and its at the same temp. Get slightly hotter under load before. But still fine. How do I get prime95? I just did it with 3dmark2001 with my onboard graphics got 1600. But tomorrow I should have my 6600gt. Then next weekend im going to get an ASUS p4p800 and a Zalman cooler. Should be some more fun.

denz_1 said:
lol I did right after I did the post and its at the same temp. Get slightly hotter under load before. But still fine. How do I get prime95? I just did it with 3dmark2001 with my onboard graphics got 1600. But tomorrow I should have my 6600gt. Then next weekend im going to get an ASUS p4p800 and a Zalman cooler. Should be some more fun.
get prime95 at
http://mersenne.org/
or jus download it at:
http://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v238.exe

just to let you know what prime 95 is:
it is a program that calculates numbers and will test your cpu to its limit, telling you pretty mcuh what the hottest temperature it will be under load at.
when you download it, go to the options tab then "torture test" then blend is a good test, this program will also tell you if your overclocked cpu is stable at the speeds it is at. If you are testing for stability, then i'd run it for a good 8 or so hours to be safe...

It is. Problem is at 120mhz i.e 2.4ghz it hits 50 degreesC when I run prime95 so restarts. It is summer at the moment But when I get a Zalman cooler it should help. I have poor air in my comp all messy and the hsf is really dusty.

But I have got the bug and cant wait to get my new Motherboard and cooler and have some fun. Pitty I have the hottest room in the house and its mid summer :(

ewhenn said:
B0 Stepping 2.0A chips max out at about 2.5 GHZ tops.

yup, but they can take a load of vcore :cool:

when you get the zalman cooler, try the new idle / load (un-overclocked) temps first, then start ocing. Another easy way to improve your cooling would be to mount one or more case fans (intake / exhaust).

Back