• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.4e sl7km prescott versus 3.2c northwood

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bbsal1

Hi All,

I currently have a 3.2 northwood co stepping overclocked at 3.6 with a asus p4p800 but just bought all new stuff for upgrading. My question is do you guys think i will see better performance from the new setup i am getting? Heres my current system 3.2c 512cach northy clocked at 3.6 with a asus p4p800 motherboard and pc3200 ddr 1 gig and a sata 120gig hard drive.

My new system will be the 3.4e prescott do stepping sl7km with a P5AD2 Premium asus motherboard and 1 gig of ddr2 533 kingston memory with a sata120gig hard drive.

How much overclick should i get on air with the new system and will it out perform my current system alot? Thanks and heres some pic of benchmarks of my current system.
runsperfectatthis.jpg
speedoverclock.jpg

hard to say if you will notice any real life performance gains (higher latency with ddr2) other then perhaps sandra benchmarks..

However if you can get hold of the new low latency ddr2 533/3-3-3timings modules like the OCZ PC2 4200 Enhanced Bandwidth Platinum you might see realworld diffrence as well!! You should hit 4gig atleast with the 3.4e. If you have good ram, psu, cooling, case ventalation..etc

Look into the fast ddr2ram though..it makes a significant diffrence with fast ram for the p4..

Last edited:
while you should beable to hit 3.7 or if your lucky even 4GHZ with the right cooling you will also beable to up the frontside bus to 1066 because it is a 3.4.

Indio said:
hard to say if you will notice any real life performance gains (higher latency with ddr2) other then perhaps sandra benchmarks..

However if you can get hold of the new low latency ddr2 533/3-3-3timings modules like the OCZ PC2 4200 Enhanced Bandwidth Platinum you might see realworld diffrence as well!! You should hit 4gig atleast with the 3.4e. If you have good ram, psu, cooling, case ventalation..etc

Look into the fast ddr2ram though..it makes a significant diffrence with fast ram for the p4..

The 3.4E he is referring to is socket 478 and not LGA 775. And sorry, DDR2 still does not provide that much of a performance differential over standard DDR.

Anyhow, it is my recommendation that you do in fact move to the LGA 775/socket T if you choose to net some healthy overclocks. This way, I think that your chances of hitting 4 Ghz are much greater, and it is also commonly known that socket T boards manage the heat and power issues of the Prescott slightly better. If you wish to keep your AGP and DDR, however, my advice would be to look at a hybrid board such as the DFI 875-P T, which is currently regarded as one of the best overclocking LGA 775 boards out there. Besides this fact, the 875-P T uses the 875 chipset (obviously), so you can run a newer P4 with your exisiting AGP card and memory. Of course, you do not have to upgrade your motherboard, but it's just a thought.

deception``

deception`` said:
The 3.4E he is referring to is socket 478 and not LGA 775. And sorry, DDR2 still does not provide that much of a performance differential over standard DDR.

Anyhow, it is my recommendation that you do in fact move to the LGA 775/socket T if you choose to net some healthy overclocks. This way, I think that your chances of hitting 4 Ghz are much greater, and it is also commonly known that socket T boards manage the heat and power issues of the Prescott slightly better. If you wish to keep your AGP and DDR, however, my advice would be to look at a hybrid board such as the DFI 875-P T, which is currently regarded as one of the best overclocking LGA 775 boards out there. Besides this fact, the 875-P T uses the 875 chipset (obviously), so you can run a newer P4 with your exisiting AGP card and memory. Of course, you do not have to upgrade your motherboard, but it's just a thought.

deception``

I believe you will hit 4.0 no problem on good air cooling. Maybe even 4.1

I would wait for the new 775 prescott with 2mb of level 2 cache not sure how much it will cost.
Is there a reason why your [email protected] isnt good enough for what you do?
As someone has mention you may hit 4ghz on good aircooling and for the amount of cash its gonna cost is it worth it for 400mhz.

deception`` said:

deception``

Um?
Linky
Looks like a socket T/socket 775 to me, but i might be missing something? Dident know you could run DDR2 on any I875/865chipset mobo (only chipsets for the 478 mobos worth running a prescott in, if at all)
Oh, and it had allready been pointed out that DDR2 would have to be something really expencive / exotic, to make a real world diff.

I would however sugest holding of for a while, hoping for better memories to get cheaper, and to get a good 64 bit Prescott.

My 5 cents.
B!

-=Mr_B=- said:
Um?
Linky
Looks like a socket T/socket 775 to me, but i might be missing something? Dident know you could run DDR2 on any I875/865chipset mobo (only chipsets for the 478 mobos worth running a prescott in, if at all)
Oh, and it had allready been pointed out that DDR2 would have to be something really expencive / exotic, to make a real world diff.

I would however sugest holding of for a while, hoping for better memories to get cheaper, and to get a good 64 bit Prescott.

My 5 cents.
B!

bbsal1 said:
I currently have a 3.2 northwood co stepping overclocked at 3.6 with a asus p4p800 but just bought all new stuff for upgrading.

He's running the Asus P4P800, which is based on the 865 chipset. Hence, it is NOT Socket T compatible, and is based on the socket 478 design. Secondly, DDR2 will not run on a socket 478 motherboard. So, once again, it is also incompatible with his motherboard. I suppose that you mean well with your advice, but please be wary of providing the member with false information, as that can only make things worse.

deception``

I currently have a 478 pin motherboard in the p4p800 but in my post i said i was getting the newer P5AD2 Premium asus motherboard and the 3.4e 775 socket with ddr2. So the chip will be the newer 775 socket and of course a new motherboard in the p5ad2. I would think with the 1mb cache and ddr2 it would be faster then my current system and i got the chip very cheap so i only have to spend for the memory and the board wich i found for 250 total.

Sorry if i confusied anyone but the new p4 3.4e i have is a socket 775 and i will have the new motherboard and memory. Question is will i have to upgrade my video card with that P5AD2 motherboard. My video card is a geforce 256mb 6000 series. It is agp8x but i dont see anything about agp8x on that motherboard. I see it has the new pci express but i wasnt sure if i need to upgrade the video also. If i do then i will probably go with a better and bigger video card. I play alot of games and burn movies and such so thats why i wanted to do all this upgrading. My current system is fast dont get me wrong but i think the older memory and chipset and northwood chip might be holding me back some in game performance and other programs.

I figure some of you guys must have the system im about to get together. i mean 3.4e socket 775 versus 3.2c 478pin northwood has to be somewhat better right? And on top of that i will have the new 925x intel chipset instead of 865 and ddr2 533 instead of 333 ddr. Once again sorry to confuse anyone with my first post.

Last edited:
bbsal1 said:
I currently have a 478 pin motherboard in the p4p800 but in my post i said i was getting the newer P5AD2 Premium asus motherboard and the 3.4e 775 socket with ddr2. So the chip will be the newer 775 socket and of course a new motherboard in the p5ad2. I would think with the 1mb cache and ddr2 it would be faster then my current system and i got the chip very cheap so i only have to spend for the memory and the board wich i found for 250 total.

Sorry if i confusied anyone but the new p4 3.4e i have is a socket 775 and i will have the new motherboard and memory. Question is will i have to upgrade my video card with that P5AD2 motherboard. My video card is a geforce 256mb 6000 series. It is agp8x but i dont see anything about agp8x on that motherboard. I see it has the new pci express but i wasnt sure if i need to upgrade the video also. If i do then i will probably go with a better and bigger video card. I play alot of games and burn movies and such so thats why i wanted to do all this upgrading. My current system is fast dont get me wrong but i think the older memory and chipset and northwood chip might be holding me back some in game performance and other programs.

I figure some of you guys must have the system im about to get together. i mean 3.4e socket 775 versus 3.2c 478pin northwood has to be somewhat better right? And on top of that i will have the new 925x intel chipset instead of 865 and ddr2 533 instead of 333 ddr. Once again sorry to confuse anyone with my first post.

Sorry for the confusion. Allow me to offer some more insight here:

1. Your chipset and memory most likely are not holding you back in terms of performance. Simply put, there is very little performance difference between any of Intel's recent chipsets, and that includes the 865/875/915/925 and 925XE chipsets. This is a double-edged sword: On one had, it speaks volumes on Intel's own chipset design, but on the other hand, it can make an upgrade to a newer chipset pretty worthless for some.

2. The Asus you have in mind WILL NOT SUPPORT ANY AGP VIDEO CARD. I hate to break it to you, but you're going to have to upgrade to a newer video card for your upcoming system. Fortunately, there are some affordable PCIe solutions for you to consider, such as the Geforce 6600GT. Not only will it outperform a 9800 Pro & XT, but it is aggressively priced at just under $200. The x800XL is also a good video card for $300 but it's not for sale quite yet, so if you're building soon then go for the 6600GT.

3. There will be little of a performance boost in your LGA 775 setup over the 3.2C. It is true that the Prescott does have 1MB of cache, but it means little in many cases. Nonetheless, a Prescott should begin to seem a bit more favorable once you overclock past 3.6-3.7 or so, and the cache can help in some (but definitely not all) applications. Aside from that, there's not much of a difference. And both chips will multitask about the same, too.

deception``

Thanks for the input! :thup:

Right before i read your post i seen that i will indeed have to get a better video card. Hows the ATI RADEON X700 PRO. Bestbuy has it in stock so i was thinking of picking that up. Its pci express 256mb. I am a geforce guy usually but this card seems to get some good reviews and they say its close to the x800 in alot of ways and works good for overclocking also. Best buy has it for 200 and i got a gift card so maybe thats the best way to go right now.

I figure this all should be a good upgrade since i will have the latest 775 motherboard and can eventully step it up to a faster chip in the future also. plus the ddr2 memory and pci express should all help somewhat in better performance then what i have now. At leats i hope but i will know by next week after i get all this installed. I will let everyone know how it works out when its all installed. And of course i will start overclocking once i set everything up.

bbsal1 said:
Thanks for the input! :thup:

Right before i read your post i seen that i will indeed have to get a better video card. Hows the ATI RADEON X700 PRO. Bestbuy has it in stock so i was thinking of picking that up. Its pci express 256mb. I am a geforce guy usually but this card seems to get some good reviews and they say its close to the x800 in alot of ways and works good for overclocking also. Best buy has it for 200 and i got a gift card so maybe thats the best way to go right now.

I figure this all should be a good upgrade since i will have the latest 775 motherboard and can eventully step it up to a faster chip in the future also. plus the ddr2 memory and pci express should all help somewhat in better performance then what i have now. At leats i hope but i will know by next week after i get all this installed. I will let everyone know how it works out when its all installed. And of course i will start overclocking once i set everything up.

The 6600GT is the same price, but will outperform the x700 Pro. It is the best $200 PCIe card in it's class. If you're looking to buy in that range, stick to any 6600GT variant. Not only are they more powerful at stock, but they are insanely overclockable, too.

Oh, and DDR2 will do little to nothing in terms of an added performance boost. It's simply a means of future-proofing (keeping up with the most current technology). If you were to use a motherboard that was compatible with LGA 755 processors, but used an AGP card and DDR, you'd see no loss in performance.

deception``

One other thing, will the new board do SLI? If so, you could get a 6600 now and if you wanted more performance you could just buy another and run them together.

You are right again. I checked around and the 6600gt is the better card for the same price. I will go with that one since bestbuy has one of them also. And yes you can do SLI so i can allways get another to add performance to it. I allways been a geforce guy anyway and had nothing but good to say about them so i better stick with them. Thanks for the input!

Rodman said:
One other thing, will the new board do SLI? If so, you could get a 6600 now and if you wanted more performance you could just buy another and run them together.

No current or upcoming Intel motherboards support SLI. At the moment, this is strictly an Athlon 64 ammenity. This may change when NVIDIA releases it's own chipset for the Intel platform, but for the meantime, you'll have to think green for SLI.

deception``

deception`` said:

deception``
sl7km is LGA 775 like i posted if he wants to go with ddr2 he should consider the new faster ddr2 modules.

thank you! i have almost completed all the upgrades. I put the board chip memery etc.. in except the video card. I ordered the 6600gt so i should have it in a few days so for now i got a 64 mb radeon in the regular pci.yukk but that will be fixed shortly. So far i see i better performance and man could this thing overclock!! I will show some screen shots in a bit im still setting all this up and installing stuff. So far i hit 3.8 with no trouble. I will go for more in a bit but its runnning 3.8 right now and the temp is 53c so looks like i can go further. I will keep it updated!

Well most is now installed i couldnt get the 6600gt (out of stock) So i got the x700 pro 256 ati video card pci express. Its alot faster then i thought. Heres one bench mark i took but i still didnt max it out or set it up compltetly. I have about 5 fans in my case plus the p4 fan so it stays at about 60c under full load and 50 to 53 idle at 3.93g. I will see whats the most stable and clock it at that but so far i got 4.3g out of it and it was still running pretty cool and nothing locked up or ran unstable but i lowered it to 3.9 for now.
newcpu.jpg

deception`` said:
He's running the Asus P4P800, which is based on the 865 chipset. Hence, it is NOT Socket T compatible, and is based on the socket 478 design. Secondly, DDR2 will not run on a socket 478 motherboard. So, once again, it is also incompatible with his motherboard. I suppose that you mean well with your advice, but please be wary of providing the member with false information, as that can only make things worse.

deception``

Well, Geee, thanks, im a lier... A few lines later when its expresed that I had read the article, and got the facts straight... not a word is offerd as exuse? Its nothing personal, but this forum, and others have grown a lot more hostile then they used to be. Im not going to hold it agenst anyone, but it does make it less intressting to drop in.

On a second note, i waited with this reply untill the topic as sutch is completed, to avoid spoiling the thread for the starter.
B!

Back