• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlock P4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mike650

Hey Guys My name is mike i am looking to OC my Intel P4 2.66ghz up to around 3.0
How do i go about unlocking my P4 i can't access the CPU Frequency Multipler.I Can access the CPU External Frequency to change that ..I belive i have it in Jumper Free mode cause i set the CPU Speed to manual in the BIOS.
Would it be ok if i just change the Frequency up a little higher or do i also have to change the Multipler to
Thanks for any help you can give me
Mike

I have an Asus P4S800-MX
P4 2.66
512 MB
80 Gig hard drive
Radeon 9800 Pro 128

Having locked multipliers is the bane of Intel oc'ers. FSB is where you are going to have to go. Bring the fsb up in small steps and check it for stability/temps.

Hey Silver Thanks for the Reply .Yea i was just reading that on a site .I will just check my Temps and do it one step at a Time ..I am getting a new Fan for the this board ..to have better cooling .I thought about changing my CPU but why would i switch if i could just OC this one ..I guess if i cook this baby it might be a thought ..LOL
Thanks again

Keep the temps relatively low and you should be ok. Remember to check temps under load. As long as load temps are under 50c then you should be in relatively safe range. I personally like to keep mine under 45c. In the beginning leave the voltage alone and see how high you can overclock it on the fsb alone. Check for stability and in particular heat always. You may be surprised at what you can get with no voltage increase. When/should the time come for voltage increases it is very important that you take it in small steps, testing always. Welcome to what many refer to as an addiction.

BTW, unlike many sites you will for the most part find Overclockers to be a very friendly site and there aren't many silly questions that haven't been asked by all. Should you need more help then ask away and feel free to join in on most any thread.

Unfortunately, I don't think your mobo allows you to lock the AGP/PCI. But, you might make it to 3 gig anyway. Jump right to 140 FSB (2.8 gig), that should be easy. Check temps and test for stability. Then go up a couple FSB at a time from there.

Hey Guys thanks for the Reply .Hey Silver i am already addicted to it .Already overclocked my 9800 Pro with the ATI Tool ..I do have another question for you guys or anybody else that has a thought .I am looking for a good CPU Temp. Monitor that i can put in my Taskbar .I downloaded Motherboard Monitor .But could not find my Board it so i tried to get the closest one and it was telling my board's CPU was running at 174 F .Which if it was i think my Comp would have been smoking .I checked in the BIOS and it is exactly where i it should be at 34C/94F.I have Windows XP and an ASUSP4S800-MX .Thanks again for any Suggestion you guys know of
Mike

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php works for alot of newer motherboards..as mbm5 ..is kinda starting to get a tad outdated. Remember to keep everything cool. imo you should put your computer in your sign ..like we all do. just so when u ask questions later ..just say ..computers in the sign.

as for your videocard.. i got the same one. what speeds are u running it with ati tool? i got mine flashed to xt (tricky job if u dont got a clue what your doing) and i also have changed the stock heatsink from the little plate of junk to a ATI SILENCER. keeps it cool and stoped crashes when i was playing counterstrike.

another thing. overclocking depends on 2-4 things. first is the motherboard. its the thing that will let you get that 3.4 ghz ..or 3ghz. if u are into looking for a new motherboard ..you cant go wrong with abit. ..+ they never turned downed a overclocked motherboard for rma. another thing that depends on your overclock in your memory ..if you cant run your memory at your fsb speed..then its going to stop your overclock. but having the right ratio for the fsb memory ..your fine. the cpu can also stop your overclock.. most go to around 300mhz from the lowest grade to highest grade ..(not all 2.6 cpus are the same.. are infact better fyi) most the time..good cooling and your fine. ANYthing from Thermalright is ..well..outmatches anyhting out there. if you really want cooling ..go and buy a xp-120 or an xp-90 from them. nothing better thermalright.. unless its another type of cooling like water (reminds me i could set up mine..to lazy tho ..or is it i am too scard.. ..both lol)

dont think i missed anything.. if u need help ..just PM one of us.. incase we dont look at the therad for a few days :D .as if ...i live on here heck.. PM me if u need help on anything

if u want more info on cooling post in the cooling part. The Fanman odda help u fast .. (The Fanman.. or arch. is a very respected member.. )

Good day ..have fun..
Wizard James

Hey Wiz James thank for the Tip i am going to download it and see how it works .Thanks
I have my Card 435/366 .I have good frame rate playing UT2004 .So i don't want to push it.
which is why i just wanted to make a jump from 2.66 to 3.0 If i can.
I might have to look into the ATI Silencer .Do that have that on the ATI website??
I was also thinking about getting 1gig of Memory.
Thanks
Mike

Hey Guys i went up from a 2.66 to a 2.8 ..I figured out what i did wrong with the Mother Board Monitor and got that problems corrected.
My Temps seem ok ..average of 33 c 91 F ..went and played a few rounds of UT2004 and check the temps again ..Seemed to have had a few degrees increases which i expected ..from 91 F TO 95 F ..Does that seem normal to you guys ..I am going to run this and see if there are any problems then i will try for the 3.0 ..Also do you think getting a better heat sink like the one Wiz James posted would help keep things cool and also would it bet a good idea to buy some of that Artic Silver 5 and put some of that on .Or would it just be best to get another fan ..
Thanks for any info you guys can give me
Mike

First thing.. i can tell your from the usa..like 70% of people here. but with computers..and for people like me .from canada and other parts of the world ..it simplefilys if you onlu use C and not F when talking about temps.

now most people will ask for your idle/ load temps. what load is is having the cpu and full work for 30+ mins.

programs to test this are
1:. Prime 95 and very good program for testing the stabiblity of your computer when overclocked and finding load temps, once you find a good oc.. run prime for a day or 2 ..yes ..24 or more hours to become prime tested OKed.. means your overclock is very good.

another is Fah.. take a look in our folding part of the forums.. it would be very nice if you droped by, and learnt some stuff. we need every member we can get (fah =folding at home) learn more Here

as for a new heatsink.. getting a new fan will mostly just make it louded.. and trust me.. i got the worlds louded computer fan (tornado) and i hate it. getting a new heatsink will make and can have your temps drop 5-10 degress ..and useing AS5 will help too. (even if it costs your arm for such a small tube)

and for the ATI Silencer, i will take pictures of mine to show you what they look like and how they work.

Hey James Thanks .I figured that most of the people here would go with the C Instead of the F .But either way is fine for me .I Have had it running for a good 2 hours or so ..just kind of Idleing ..Just kind of surfing the net not putting to much stress on it ..The Temps just stays at 33C ..I did play some ut2004 and it did increase a few to around 37c Or so ..I figured it would jump up a little but before i went ahead and went up to 3.0 .i thought i would see if that 4 Degrees jump would be normal and see what else i could do to keep it down with a new Heat Sink .
If you could either email those pics to me i would appracaite it alot ..I also will run that program and post the results here and see what you think ...I saw that artic silver 5 for $15.00 Amercian dollars which is not much at all ..but if it is going to help me out that i don't mind spending a few extra bucks
Thanks again
i will check out that fourom and read what is there

Back