• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP Lock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do you mean the Frequency lock? If so, it is for overclocking to keep the bus speed within specs to prevent instability on you video card and also the PCI bus.

I have no idea what i mean, I've seen it mentioned a coule of times on the forums and i thought i'd ask!

Usually it is referring to the PCI and AGP lock. It means that no matter what FSB you are running, the PCI and AGP bus speeds are still in spec. Usually it is set to 66mhz AGP / 33mhz PCI.

The base agp bus speed is 66 and pci is 33. If your computer is stock at 166 FSB, they are related to the FSB speed by the ratio of 5:2:1.Without a lock to keep their speeds at spec., they will go up whenever the FSB is increased (when overclocking). This will often create problems because some components and vid cards can't handle the increase in speed. So, to get a decent o/c, you need a motherboard with agp/pci locks.

Last edited:
garste said:
The base agp bus speed is 66 and pci is 33. If your computer is stock at 166 FSB, they are related to the FSB speed by the ratio of 5:2:1 (FSB:agp:pci). Without a lock to keep their speeds at spec., they will go up whenever the FSB is increased (when overclocking). This will often create problems because some components and vid cards can't handle the increase in speed. So, to get a decent o/c, you need a motherboard with agp/pci locks.

This is right on the money. ^^^

Lock your AGP and PCI bus speeds so you can freely increase FSB without causing issues with AGP and PCI devices (such as data integrity errors like hard disk corruption) and it also stops them limiting how far the FSB is increased.

garste said:
Off topic: I have no idea where that smiley came from.

A colon then a p = :p
Its because you had written

Code:
agp:pci

which vBulletin renders as agp:pci

</off topic>

David said:
This is right on the money. ^^^

Lock your AGP and PCI bus speeds so you can freely increase FSB without causing issues with AGP and PCI devices (such as data integrity errors like hard disk corruption) and it also stops them limiting how far the FSB is increased.

So to ensure it's locked, what should one do?

My selections are: Auto, 50 - 100 Hz, and the "Auto" is the default setting. :-/

Jumpin Jack said:
So to ensure it's locked, what should one do?

My selections are: Auto, 50 - 100 Hz, and the "Auto" is the default setting. :-/

I've never messed with a AGP lock board hands on, but I would guess Auto means that increases with FSB (bad) so you want to set it to 66MHz for AGP and 33MHz for PCI.

David said:
I've never messed with a AGP lock board hands on, but I would guess Auto means that increases with FSB (bad) so you want to set it to 66MHz for AGP and 33MHz for PCI.

Dave,
The ASUS manual states: "The default, (AUTO) permits automatic selection of optimal AGP frequencies."

I'll try it at 66Mhz, thanks...... :)

I have a question thats somewhat related, and I dont thinka new thread is necessary...

Where in a motherboard's specs can you tell if it has a PCI/AGP lock or not? Or is it just something you gotta dig up in hardware reviews?

You should see the feature in the BIOS. Browse through the BIOS menues to find it. It is usually under System Frequency/Voltage configuration.

But that comes AFTER I spend money on the dang thing... Is there no way to tell before hand? Just ask around?

Back