• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Filters.. Do they inhibit cooling significantly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DuckDodgers

I just moved my system to a new case..an ANTEC Black Solution Series ATX Mid-Tower Case with 350W Power Supply. I installed a 120mm fan in the front. I noticed that there is a filter behind the louver grill in front. How much will something like that inhibit the cooling. Other that the obvious "plugged filter". Should I leave it in or take it out? It seems to run a few degrees hotter with it in. But then the dust collects quicker.

Also I am thinking of adding an additional fan maybe on the top or the side. Which is better? My PSU has 2 fans, one draws from (Yes! the Seahawks scored, sorry got carried away) the bottom and the one exhausts to the rear. I also have a 120mm fan in the rear of the case.

bleagh said:
I tried running without a filter for a while. But ended up having to clean the CPU heatsink and such quite often. Quite simply, the CPU will only run cooler till it gathers some dust. Which didn't seem to take very long with my computer. Even the stock filter that came with the computer was not so great. It catches the bigger stuff, but smaller particles go right through. In the end I went to a hardware store and got some cut-to-fit washable foam air conditioner filter material (it's about 1/4 inch thick, fairly porus, yet still catches many smaller particles).

So unless you have a very clean and dust free place, or like cleaning the CPU heatsink every few days..., leave the filter in!

You missed answering his question, the answer is yes, the filter will inhibit the cooling fairly significantly. But I agree with you that a filter should be used, especially if you smoke, have pets and your not living in a dust free vacuum environment :)

I've tried many types of filters from air conditioning filter material to panty hose (Stretched out) and a variety of other materials. I find that the cheap black fan filters like this, seem to inhibit the least amount of air-flow, while still filtering out the majority of contaminants like hair, dirt etc etc... (When you vacuum your house, just give the fan filter the once over with the vacuum brush attachment to eliminate any dust it may have collected. :bday:

I used a dryer sheet for my brothers computer and it works better than one might expect, much better than panty hose and very thin.

Dryer cloth.... hmmm never thought of that. New or used? New would make my system smell pretty :). Good idea though Thanks.

Still I'd like to know if it is better to mod the side of the case and have the fan blowing directly on the CPU or mod the top of the case and have it draw the air past the CPU. My PSU already draws from the bottom ( just above the CPU) and blows out the back.

DuckDodgers said:
Dryer cloth.... hmmm never thought of that. New or used? New would make my system smell pretty :). Good idea though Thanks.

Still I'd like to know if it is better to mod the side of the case and have the fan blowing directly on the CPU or mod the top of the case and have it draw the air past the CPU. My PSU already draws from the bottom ( just above the CPU) and blows out the back.

What kind of case are you using? (Manufacturer/Model) Once this is known we can better help. ;)

I've had Antec cases with that same filter , nice , I like it . Maybe it helps cut down the noise as a side benefit .

As far as adding another fan , a top exhaust is one of the best you can add for cooling to a case .

Try it both ways for reference. Filters of all types become more restrictive as they absorb more material, but they also become more effective at the same time. Just another one of the ugly trade-offs in life. ;)

Back