• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec True 550W, Enermax Noisetaker 600W, or OCZ PowerStream 520W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

__ThRiLLaG3__

Registered
Here is my situation:
Im planning on buying a new PSU to go with new system that the following:
mobo: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra (not the SLI one)
CPU: Athlon 64 3000+ winchester
RAM: crucial ballistix 1024mb (2x512mb) PC 3200
Graphics: nvidia 6600gt
I will also add my MSI tv card, SB audigy LS and US robotics wireless adapter

I currently have the PSU that came with my antec sonata ?(antec truepower 380W) which is not atx v2.0. Can i get a converter to make the 20 pin 24 pin?? and if i can do you think this PSU has enough power to run the above.

Also could you please vote which you beleive is the better power supply, because i may end up just getting one anyway:
Antec True 550W
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Antec_103.html
Enermax Noisetaker 600W
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Enermax_111.html
OCZ PowerStream 520W
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/OCZ.html

Thanks Alot :thup:

Well, the TP550's fans don't ever speed up enough to truly support a 550W output. So while it's a great supply, you have to void the warranty to fix the cooling. Not something I like in my new, expensive, power supply.

Personally I hate Enermax, but the newer ones have been well received by those that have tried them. You could do worse.

The OCZ is perhaps a bit pricey and gimmicky, but has proven capable of sustaining top-level OCs out of the box. If it appeals to you it's a safe enough bet.

There is another supply you might well consider. I've seen these in action on S939 Winchesters, and they do well:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-934&depa=0

Unfortunately they've gotten popular and newegg is presently out of stock.

like above.. for the TP550 ..i own one.. and i had to open it up and change both fans (92 and a 80) now it it still blows out hot air..but alot faster .

in all. ..ocz i would go with

In order from best:

PC Power & Cooling 510W Deluxe
OCZ Powerstream 600W
OCZ Powerstream 520W
Antec TruePower 550
Fortron 530

I don't know .. Ive been dealing with the same issue.. Enermax or OCZ. The Enermax you are starting to see at prices close to the OCZ 520. I currently have an older Enermax 600W in a dual 3.2 Xeon AD mailserver with 3 gigs of ram and 4 10k hard drives. The voltages are mostly within 3%... More importanly though, the rails don't move at all.. I haven't done a test under load because it is a business machine that is being used, but under moderate stress the rails simply oscillate 1% or so. From what I understand the new 600W is even better... These are definitely good units.

Everyone says how the OCZ has 1% voltage regulation, but I've seen more than one review where its been 2 or 3% oscillation under high loads. I've also seen a few reviews where the idle voltages were sort of high, like 12.3 volts.
Not that this is a big negative, but I don't think this quite matches up with its specifications.

From what it looks like, both are a bit inferior to PCP&C units, but I'd say that they are still both extremely good.

I want to see a few more reviews on the enermax PSU before I pass judgement though...

Last edited:
Both the Enermax and the OCZ are great choices. More importantly, it helps to understand what each unit was built to accomplish. Allow me to clear some air here: The Enermax is designed to take an excessive amount of load from multiplies components. In other words, it is the best bet if you have 2-3 optical drives, 4 Hds, a strong video card, and so on. However, the OCZ was built to be the premiere enthusiast power supply in it's class. So if you're looking to net some really nice clocks on your CPU and GPU, the OCZ is the way to go.

deception``

All that matters is how stable the voltages are... Id love to see a head to head comparison by a respected reviewer

thegreek said:
deception do you happen to have any reviews between a PCP&C and an OCZ 600?

I don't think there are any at the moment. However, keep in mind that the OCZ Powerstream is not designed to be a competitor with the PC&C. In other words, both units are designed with distinct purposes in mind, and probably should not be compared directly. I can tell you from experience with the PC&C 510 and the OCZ 520W that I favored my OCZ more. In no way do I mean to imply that the PC&C was a bad unit, because it performed exceptionally. I simply thought that the perks of the OCZ gave it a slight win in my book.

deception``

Thats the older Enermax I have, the ATX 1.3 version.. I suppose that it should perform similarly.

I wish the review went a little more in depth. I want to see the P.S.U's under load. Like in a SLI system with a high power drawing cpu. It seemed that test system was a little light on power flowing through the board. Instead it was heavy on power draw going to multiple hard drives. Both tested pretty good, with OCZ looking like it had the advantage...

However, for overclocking purposes, things might be a little different. I'd still guess the OCZ would come out ahead, but I'd like to know how the Enermax would perform in that situation.

www.silentpcreview.com has reviews of both the Noisetaker 475w and OCZ 470w. Their reviews are a little more in depth, and will be a better indicator how each PSU does when tested scientifically. Of the three listed in the original post, I'd be leaning in OCZ's direction.

Thanks alot. Sorry for not replying i posted it last night and went to bed. :)
Larva im buying mine in the UK and i looked at newegg and i dont think they can deliver overseas.
Deception that review you left comparing the enermax 600W and OCZ powerstream 520W was amazing. One thing seemed to stand out though; the enermax had 6-pin PCI-E Connector whilst the OCZ didn't!!! If im getting a new pci express mobo shouldnt i need one of these PCI-E connectors???

If im getting a new pci express mobo shouldnt i need one of these PCI-E connectors???

No need, graphics cards come with an adapter.

personaly i steer clear of enermax due to some of thier earlyer problems .

All power supplies have issues. Not to mention, none of these companies actually make the units themselves... They are contracted out to other companies. The companies making the power supplues can change over time. The only thing to do is to evaluate each model independently.

Any choice is fine OTHER than the Antec. They are known to have alot of power output problems with Athlon64. I myself had a problem with my 430W True. Long story short and $150 later my rig is finally stable.

Sentential said:
Any choice is fine OTHER than the Antec. They are known to have alot of power output problems with Athlon64. I myself had a problem with my 430W True. Long story short and $150 later my rig is finally stable.

Huh?

I have a 550Watt Antec, seems fine.

Back