• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend a PSU!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DexusXL

Registered
I was wondering if someone could recommend a PSU for my System, which needs atleast 480w from Newegg.com. Please pick one thats instock, this is the last piece i need and i need a good one, but i need to order it tonight >.> . Please reply soon!

Top 3 you'll get outa this forum is (in no order):

OCZ Powerstream 520
Fortron 530
Antec TP 550

What will you use this system for? Do you have any desire for looks/LED's? Do you want adjustable rails? 20/24pin? Need pci-e power?

You'd want the Fortron Blue Storm if you're going with a Fortron, but unfortunately it's out of stock ATM.

Also in addition to Sucka's suggestions, very noteworthy are the Tagans that newegg sells, which are essentially the same as the OCZ Powerstreams (both sourced from Topower, and the Zippy units, which are the source of PC Power & Cooling supplies. In fact, myself, I'd take one of these two often overlooked choices.

Its going to be mainly a gaming Rig. Very powerful system, BFG's nVidia 6800 Ultra OC, 2 WD74 Raptors, FX-55, about 9 fans w/o the PSU, 2x 1gig sticks of ram. My generic 500w blew and i just want something that wont go and wont hurt my stuff.

In order from best:

PC Power & Cooling 510W Deluxe
OCZ Powerstream 600W
OCZ Powerstream 520W
Antec TruePower 550
Fortron 530

DexusXL said:
Its going to be mainly a gaming Rig. Very powerful system, BFG's nVidia 6800 Ultra OC, 2 WD74 Raptors, FX-55, about 9 fans w/o the PSU, 2x 1gig sticks of ram. My generic 500w blew and i just want something that wont go and wont hurt my stuff.

Anything listed here will run your system. I wasn't gonna mention PCP&C because i don't see it at Newegg, but if it's in your budget, it is without a doubt, one of, if not THE best PSU's made. You also pay for this...

I recommended him to go for this.

Zippy is, in case you didn't know, one of the manufacturers that PC Power and Cooling sources from. It just doesn't get any better, and at just under $120, the price is right, too.

atomic hamster said:
Ill post hear instead of in new thread.

My budjet is $50 cnd or $40 us. I need over 420 watts. What would be the best psu to get im a complete psu noob.

If this is to run the system in your sig (the Prescott) it would be my suggestion to hold out until you can afford something decent. In that price range the ratings on any PSU you get are gonna be terrible. Bassically all you can afford in that range is a generic 420w PSU, and your o/c is going to suffer greatly. With that said, look for the cheapest 420w PSU you can find, and find the highest amps on the 12v/5v/3.3v/ rails.

Sucka said:
If this is to run the system in your sig (the Prescott) it would be my suggestion to hold out until you can afford something decent. In that price range the ratings on any PSU you get are gonna be terrible. Bassically all you can afford in that range is a generic 420w PSU, and your o/c is going to suffer greatly. With that said, look for the cheapest 420w PSU you can find, and find the highest amps on the 12v/5v/3.3v/ rails.

Its for the prescott system, and the reasoni want to replace it is because i am currently using the 450w one that came with my $60 case, and i am afraid it will kill my components when it dies.

Edit: looks what i found! Link
$69 canadain for an x-connect! (after $30 rebate)

by the way can my psu kill my motherbourd and stuff when it dies. I remember reading that somewhere.

Last edited:
Gautam said:
Also in addition to Sucka's suggestions, very noteworthy are the Tagans that newegg sells, which are essentially the same as the OCZ Powerstreams

Not quite - the units Tagan is using are a few steps down the ladder over at Topower. I've dropped them entirely from my list of recommendations recently for not having the same standards of build quality as the ones OCZ is using. Heard some negative stuff about Tagan's customer service too, unfortunately.

I second the Zippy/Emacs suggestion - it's my New Year's resolution for this year to raise awareness of this very underappreciated and underrated brand. Unlike most PSU manufacturers, they rate all their units at a full 40 degrees.

I am no longer recommending the Fortron 530w - it's become outdated. Aim for the AX500-A Blue Storm instead, if you can find one in stock ;)

Back