• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

audigy 2zs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mofei1

i have had many sound cards varying from onbaord to pci sound cards. i now have the creative audigy 2 zs atm and i have always been wondering if it is necessary to connect the cd/dvd rom audio outputs to the sound cards audio in. i have never had them connected, so does this mean that sound quality isnt as good when i play dvds from the dvd rom drive??

should i jus connect them as i have the cables lying around?

thx

You know, I did because they were there, but I didn't notice any differance when I removed it. So maybe it's just a redundant connection. Or certain motherboards require it to be connected.

Its an old, un unused connection.
It was used to play CD's from the CDROM back when there was only DOS and Win 3.11 that didn't support playing music CDs.
Anyhow its not needed since Win95.

If you connect the CD Digital to a DVD ROM drive it allows you to pass off the Dolby/DTS decoding to the Audigy instead of the playback software when you select the right settings. :)

ok i have conencted the dvd digital out to my audugy2 zs, what setting do i need to change in order to send dolby/DTS decoding to the sound card instead of software??

thx!

you should still be able to have your soundcard to be able to decode dd/dts without using that cable. Its just a matter of your settings. I don't use the cable but when i watch movies, i'm able to pick up dts/dd audio from my 5.1 reciever.

In the software your using, tell it to pass the audio to spdif, and then go to the control panel, open AudioHQ, open device controls, then click the decoder tab, and you can tell it from there whether to use the audigy to decode or pass it through the spdif port. I believe it should be able to work like this.

ok i have now selected my software to pass through to spdif. in the audio hq i have chosen to use installed decoder because my speakers arent digital. does this now mean that the audigy 2zs is decoding instead of my software

thx!

ok thx. i think that it kinda sounds better when its decoded by the sound card. could jus be me though lol

Flip-Mode said:
Its an old, un unused connection.
It was used to play CD's from the CDROM back when there was only DOS and Win 3.11 that didn't support playing music CDs.
Anyhow its not needed since Win95.

Hahaaahahaha!

You know, that's what I always thought, but I've got an A+ book that talks about how it's super important to connect that cable. One more reason why A+ is a joke.

/didn't mean to theadjack, just sayin'...

By the way, can you really tell the difference between the output of an Audigy2 zx and onboard 7.1 sound? What's the difference? is it S/n margin? I guess the quality of your speakers would matter a great deal as well, right?

Back