• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acoustic mating, is it any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aviator747

I was pondering the idea of putting some acoustic mating in my case to cut down my fan noise a bit. I have a 92mm Tornado at full bore. I also have 2 80mm Tornado's running off of my psu's temp controlled fan lines.

I wouldn't mind running my 80's at full bore. But they are a little loud. I can here them over top of my 92.

So how good is this stuff? How many decibels does it cut down? Also how bad is the heat retention of it. I am running a full tower case.

Anyone know if it is available in rolls instead of pre cut sheets?

Thanks,

P.S. Happy New Year! :bday: :beer:

It will lower the noise some, but it will increase the temps inside the case. The acoustic mating ( sound dampening) material acts like insulation and will keep the heat trapped inside the case. It will do more harm than good. Your best bet is to;

A) Get a fan controller
B ) Get lower cfm fans for less noise
C) Go H20

you can also try adding rubber washers to all the mounts. That will cut down on vibration and reduce some noise for a very minimal cost. Dont forget your HDD and cd drives too.

Back