• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this theoretically possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onlypro

My friend and I live in houses about 100 meters apart from each other.
We have been contemplating ways to make both our networks one LAN.

Can this be done if we are aiming a dish from each house at each other in direct line of site connected to a Linkys 54g at each end?

And if this is more than just a ludicrous idea, what would be a good way of implementing it.

I dont understand why routers have two antennas... actually I don't really understand anything about radio wave transmissions.

Can somebody point me in the right direction? :p

I dont think thats possible but i asked my dad (FYI. he owns a satelight company ) and he says its possible but u have to set the frequancys way up high. i still think this is impossible. but hes the dude with teh buissness.

Onlypro said:
My friend and I live in houses about 100 meters apart from each other.
We have been contemplating ways to make both our networks one LAN.

Can this be done if we are aiming a dish from each house at each other in direct line of site connected to a Linkys 54g at each end?

And if this is more than just a ludicrous idea, what would be a good way of implementing it.

I dont understand why routers have two antennas... actually I don't really understand anything about radio wave transmissions.

Can somebody point me in the right direction? :p
the two antennae spread the radio waves in a sphere. You can do this. What you would need are two cantenna. My company has done is before. We installed internet access on a golf course that had one building a quarter mile away, and we used some two way directional tranceivers to cross the distance. They were very expensive, but this predated wifi, so the equipment is alot cheaper now. Of course dont be a retard like me and try to send the signal over a lake and then wonder why you dont get a signal. The lake was reflecting the signal everywhere but at the antenna I needed it to.

Or you could just run a cable, from a switch (or router) in your house to one in his.

Fast Ethernet, 100baseT
Speed: 100 Mbps
Max Len: 100 Meters
Cable: UTP, RJ-45 connectors

It would be close but possible. Probably the more secure, reliable, and cheapest way to go.

moz_21 said:
Or you could just run a cable, from a switch (or router) in your house to one in his.

It would be close but possible. Probably the more secure, reliable, and cheapest way to go.

yah but i'm guessing h lives in a complex and i dont think thats a option for 100M away. what i would recommend is for the antenna option. and UTP starts attenuating in around 100M and under. so i woudent recommend that. but that would be a good idea and a way cheaper one if they were closer togther.

Try hitting up the user Kaltag. He has done things like this before i believe.

Also Ashenfang i think is his name, runs a wisp. He'll know alot too.

Best bet is to follow the others recomendations for the cantennas or similar. You can get fancy with expensive directionals, but why bother? If you are seriously lazy, and like buying stuff (like i do :)) then just buy a pair of cantennas and reflash your wrt54g to something like hyperwrt or some similar 3rd party firmware. you can control your ap's output power, just dont crank it to the max, because just like OC'ing the pc you will trash out the AP if you force it to output too much power.

Thank you for the quick responses.

I am a DIYer. I was hoping I could make 2 yagis and point them to each other. (if this arrangement would work)

Problem is: I have no idea in hell how antennas boost signals. I cant concieve how waves are caught by pieces of metal, and how the waves are interpretted into data.

I was thinking connecting a DIY yagi to one of the Linksys TNC connectors.
So maybe I am only left with half a sphere or 180 degree of reception in my home, and a directional yagi pointed at my friends yagi.

Help me out with this concept also. Usually with electronics. There is a negative lead, and a positive which is ground. Where do both these ends come from when you attaching them to an antenna?

moz_21 said:

Whats the fun in that?
I would still be a wireless dummy!
This whole wireless idea brings excitement and endless wonders into my geeky life. :p

Besides there is a street to cross and about 4 backyards the network cable would have to go through. Wireless is the only feasible option here.

AMD Phreak said:
Try hitting up the user Kaltag. He has done things like this before i believe.

Also Ashenfang i think is his name, runs a wisp. He'll know alot too.

Best bet is to follow the others recomendations for the cantennas or similar. You can get fancy with expensive directionals, but why bother? If you are seriously lazy, and like buying stuff (like i do :)) then just buy a pair of cantennas and reflash your wrt54g to something like hyperwrt or some similar 3rd party firmware. you can control your ap's output power, just dont crank it to the max, because just like OC'ing the pc you will trash out the AP if you force it to output too much power.
not only that, but boosting the signal as high as possible WILL interfere with other things on that frequency, and the authorities dont like that.

Indeed, however FCC requirements allow special circumstances in the 2.4 gig range, now i am not saying that I know those, so its up to the end user to determine that if they decide to boost power. FOr normal radio frequencies, its pretty low, just a small 25mW. However, those are lower frequencies than 2.4GHz, so they travel much further with less power, and are interupted by objects, where as FM/AM broadcasts are not.

And as far as understanding the basics of how communication theory works, i would suggest if you are real serious about it, start by researching how AM radio works, the theory behind it, how carrier is generated, and then finally how the antenna comes into play. Then move to FM, and finally microwave. Its important to grasp the theory of AM/FM before jumping into microwave, as microwaves do weird things.

The center pin on the TNC is the conductor, the outer ring is the ground. Forget positive/negative, it has not much affect other than making sure when you are supposd to have the conductor pin tied at a specific point it better be there and not the ground, otherwise your signal will be reversed/invered 180* and will be out of phase, possibly causing transmission problems i would assume.

Back