• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone used or using Windows XP 64 trial version?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phlypsyde

Registered
Not sure if i want to install it.. anyone heard anything or have any input on this version. Should I Stick with my current XP until the new one is finally released???

I installed XP64 on a partion and it was cool I guess. u cant install anything because most programs wont work also printer, scanner, etc no work. However, it's pretty fast ai guess. Boot time was about a half clip(u know the boot screen w/ teh little blue rectangle moving across the screen) However, one cannot be sure if that is due to the fresh install. Nevertheless, I would'nt install it on my main drive or expect to use it 24/7 because it just id'nt that stable.

i'm using it 24/7 main install os, it's way more stable than pro 32bit, most of my progs work (and faster!!!) and it's free!!!

I have it installed...the latest version...it is much stabiler then the first win64...and ALL drivers work fine, including both, my onboard sound and my sound blaster 5.1 card and both on board lan's...so far the only game I could not install has been CoD United Offence...as for the 50mb left...more like that is all it uses...

The only major complaints I have right now is...can not update a few things that need to be...but that is normal for a beta program...and I can not get any of my software firewalls to work correctly or any of my ATI OCing programs...(radlinker, atitool)...rtool still works...

The main thing I do like about it is...memory bandwidth is faster and I get about 250+ more marks over the 32 bit version...

Use it all the time...including right now. No it shouldn't be your main OS at present, but the latest widely available build(1218) is quite good. It uses a bit more ram than XP32 since it is 64bit, but it's not that bad on a 1GB system. Most programs I've tried run fine, save utilities they're predictably fickle on this OS. I like it though. Nvidia's firewall doesn't work so I'm having to rely on MS's built in firewall and for AV duty Avast! Pro seems to get along very well with XP64. All in all I like it, and think it's very worthwhile.

TimoneX said:
Use it all the time...including right now. No it shouldn't be your main OS at present, but the latest widely available build(1218) is quite good. It uses a bit more ram than XP32 since it is 64bit, but it's not that bad on a 1GB system.

One thing I noticed on win64...if you set the page file to 512, instead of letting it set itself to no page file (for people using 1G+), win64 uses less memory then XP 32 bit and is still just as stable and fast...

Thx. I always lock it down so it cannot resize itself all the time, but I think I set the min to what the max was at the time, 1536 as I recall. Either way memory usage hasn't been a problem at all, I kinda question whether a couple of these guys have even tried the OS or are just repeating something they read about 64bit OSs hogging resources.

An interesting advantage to having a dual+ boot setup is that you can use one to repair the other. For instance I went a bit too far with an OC on XP32 shortly after I set this system up and corrupted the registry, no boot, no safe mode...nada. Ordinarily I'd boot BartPE, go in and restore a backup copy of the hive, or at worst restore the original. Unfortunately for reasons I haven't yet uncovered BartPE hates this system and will not load on it. However I was able to do the same thing from within XP64 that I would usually use Bart for. Saved me a reinstall since I hadn't created any backups or ASRs yet. Just a small extra I guess.

Last edited:
NO WAY! why would you let Bill Gates and Micro suck use you by testing there famous buggy program for them instead them do the dirty work. and when it is all clean they will turn around and make you pay for it. Yeah right

I'm not a huge Gates fan either, and I've always disliked M$ as a company, but I'm using the OS for awhile for free. I'm not in the beta program BTW I have the same version anyone can download and the same generic key everyone gets emailed. When the final comes out I'll wait awhile and let the initial nasty bugs get worked out then buy my copy like a good little automaton. I just don't spend much on OSs, particularly considering how often I use them.

I tried it, it wasn't any different from the 32 bit version as far as I could tell so I went back to the 32 bit version. Unless they really ad some neat features and useability I don't see myself buying the 64 bit version of XP.

Microsoft has its peeves, but it the best out there for a reason. The monopoly windows have created in the pc world is for a reason. I think people are too harsh on microsoft...

Sure they
-charge too much
-make windows activation a pain
-have some bugs

But they are
-the leading developers in pc software
-quick and powerful
-they have the money to spend to build quality products
-power 95% of the computer world today.
-most versatile / compatible OS available

If you dont like windows go to Linux
but I think you'll find that as your compatibility goes down so does your enthusiasm...

Last edited:
Oh and as opposed to buying w64 xp, I have read that if you own w32xp pro that you will be able to upgrade for free to w64 xp when it is finally released.

Back