• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do blue LEDs cancel out UV light?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

I just got a cheap case with a side window and some blue led fans in it. I was thinking of putting in a UV cathode but I dont know if I need to get rid of the blue fans first. Anyone know if it makes a difference?

Depends on the intensity. It may also add to the aura you wish to create!

I'd be tempted to say yes, simply because longer the wavelength less the visibility. Thats why the Stop lights are Red.

So UV is a longer wavelength than normal blue, making the blue more visible than the uv. Interesting stuff. I forgot which way round the spectrum was but it makes sense now. Thanks for the tip. I think Ill just buy the cathode and install it, then if it looks better without the blue fans ill disconnect them.

UV is shorter wavelength. Higher frequency.
Longer the wavelength, the more distance the light travels without scattering.Hence the traffic light coding.

Also,Our eyes are more responsive to reds.

UV (Highest freq or shortest wavelength)
Violet
Indigo
Blue
Green
Yellow
Orange
Red. (Lowest freq or longest wavelength)

Ok. Sounds like sense. I asked my dad as well and he seems to think (as you said before) it depends on many things including intensity, angles etc. So yeah ill try it out and see what happens. Just ordered the 2 12 inch cathodes from ebay :)

Super Nade said:
Depends on the intensity. It may also add to the aura you wish to create!

I'd be tempted to say yes, simply because longer the wavelength less the visibility. Thats why the Stop lights are Red.

Wait a sec... If red has the longest wavelength, and the longer the wavelength the less visible the color is, why would they make stop lights red?

am i getting this right? :confused:

As I was saying earlier. The centeral characteristic of a stop light is that it should be visible from afar. This means the light should not get scattered by dust or the air particles.

Longer wavelengths (Red) scatter less. Thats why you can bounce off radio waves from the atmosphere without distorting the signal significantly.

Because shorter wavelengths (Blue) is scattered more than red, the sky looks blue.
This is called Rayleigh scattering.

Hope this helps!

Ok, I understand. The thing that threw me off is that in the post i quoted earlier, you said "because longer the wavelength less the visibility." Apparently, that was a typo because red has a long wavelength, but it also has the highest visibility. Hence, them using them for stop lights.

Longer----

InfraRED
Red
blah
blah...
Violet
UltraVIOLET

Shorter----

infra-
pref.

Inferior to, below, or beneath: infrasonic.

ultra-
pref.

1. Beyond; on the other side of: ultraviolet.
2. Beyond the range, scope, or limit of: ultrasonic.
3. Far beyond the normal or proper degree of: ultraconservative.

www.dictionary.com

;)

Back