• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply and Case.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roofles

Whats up guys, been reading this site for a while and finally decided to post 1. because im gonna start more visually satisfying mods and 2. I got some questions.

So..

I have a 300W power supply currently, and the system that it will power is a 2.2Ghz (new clock 2440) P4 , 784 Mb DDR Ram, 80gb 7200 rpm Hard drive, Geforce 4 5700 Ultra (also over clocked a bit) and a DVD-Rom and CD-RW Drive and a random PCI slot Fan. It runs fine with no hiccups as far as i can tell in 3dmark03 or pcmark0whatever.

Now, I have a 350W power supply laying around that i will use to power the new system, However, I have lots of fans laying around that i would like to use and Im wondering if i added 2 80mm fans and potentially other random fans (maybe 2 more, 40mm) , and also carrying on modding tradition, id like to make this sucker glow! so lets also say i added a bit of el wire , does anyone think that there would be a problem supplying power to all this?

Also i just got a digital camera for xmas so once i get around to modding junk, ill keep you updated :D

Welcome to the forums. Fans usually don't eat up a lot of power, unless you have a ton of them in your system. It also depends on what kind of fan you have. For example, the Delta fans tend to use up more power than regular fans. What I would do is see if your current PSU can handle your load. If it can then your fine. If you start getting some instability in the system that you never had before you started adding your fans and lights, then go get a PSU.

can you provide a bit more info on the PSU's themselves? make/model? if not, at least the amperage ratings on the +3.3/5/12v rails?

The 350W one laying around is made by CODEGEN
3.3v 20A
5V 30A
12v 12A

The 300W that is in the computer now is made by CODEGEN
3.3v 12A
5v 25A
12v 10A

Back