• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The AMD2200+ (Thorton) Overclock Challenge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[email protected]

Registered
I have an old MSI k7t266 Pro2-A mobo and a AMD 2200+ Thorton.

I have been trying to push my cpu fsb to the limits and trying to get to 2.2 GHz.

I have gotten into windows at 2.19Ghz(162 FSB) and ran for a while but when i tried to get to 2.20GHz(163FSB) it posted but at windows loading screen it said missing system files.

Here is my system:

MSI K7T266 Pro2-A
AMD AthlonXP 2200+(Thorton)
Kingston 1GB PC2700

I have set my voltages to their max on everyting. 1.7v CPU, 1.8v RAM, and 2.8v AGP.

1.7 volts is the max for my modo, will it help if I do a pin-mod to make it 1.8 volts Will that allow me to reach my 2.2 Ghz finish line???

Help me reach 2.2GHz I will do anything!!! (Almost)

Last edited:
You may need well over 1.8 volts for 2.2 GHz. You need non-retail cooling as well.

There is something called a PCI lock and nForce2s have it and VIA mobos do not.

Increasing the FSB changes the speed of the whole motherboard and everything connected to it unless the mobo has a PCI lock. PCI lock is good because it saves your other components from the negative effects of overclocking.

VIA mobos use a divider.

First of all FSB is more important than MHz.
MHz is FSB x multiplier but the idea is to have the highest FSB possible. Without a PCI lock, that may not be an option. This is why:
Let's say VIA mobo has a /4 divider for 133 FSB and up, then a /5 divider kicks in for 166 FSB and up.

That also means with overclocking to say, 180 FSB: 180 /5 = 36
...and then overclocking even more: 190 /5=38.

38. That’s 15% out of specs your hard drive and sound cards and everything connected to the mobo is running out of specs.

You go further than that and you’ll be entering into hard drive scrambling territory... unless you have a PCI lock which nForce2 does and VIA does not.

Is your CPU unlocked? If it is you should be able to OC higher by changing the multi.

If it's locked then I suggest buying a new motherboard. In addition to the above AGP/PCI bus problems you are also running into voltage limitations and the fact that your motherboard was never designed to exceed 133Mhz on the FSB. At 160+ you are well out of spec, and the motherboard is most likely the source of your stability issues. Get a good nForce2 motherboard and you won't have these problems.

I respect your opinios but I really like this board and dont have the money for the upgrade. The entire point of overclocking is to not have to buy newer stuff. You make way with the things you have and make them just like the newer products available.

I got this error when trying to run 163fsb, right before the loading scree it said that I have 0kb of memmory, please upgrade you computer memory to run windows...

Something like that, what could thta mean, I have pc2700 ram that rates at 333MHz???

It does but the mobo has no PCI lock so you need 166 FSB for the /5 divider to kick in, if the mobo has a /5 divider.

163/4 = 40.75

Specs are 133/4 = 166/5 = 33.3

40.75 is well over 20% over specs, hard drive scrambling territory...

List cooling, CPU and RAM Voltage and power supply brand (not just watts) for more opinions.

I agree you shouldn't spend money on a new board, but you asked how you could reach 2.2Ghz. Frankly I don't think it can be done given what you have to work with, unless you can adjust the multi on your CPU. Otherwise you've hit the wall.

Wow I did the 1.8 volt pin-mod for my thorton and it worked great.

Then I went into the bios and noticed that I have the ability to select 1.85 volts, so I selected it and it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

running at 1.85 volts right now!!!!!!!

My old max voltage for my motherboard was only 1.7 so I'm definatle happy!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pusshing currently all my voltages to the max 1.85 for cpu, 2.8 ram, and 1.8 agp

I have some weird ULTRA 300 Watt psu

maybe thats the problem but tmy voltages seem to be holding good.

Last edited:
I got this error when trying to run 163fsb, right before the loading scree it said that I have 0kb of memmory, please upgrade you computer memory to run windows...

Something like that, what could thta mean, I have pc2700 ram that rates at 333MHz???

This means you do not have enough memory installed in your system to do what you are trying to do. What size memory do you have 128mb,256mb,512mb. It may not really matter as you are not really taking note of what double jack and c627627 are try to tell you.:bang head The mobo is not designed for good overclocking or probably even any. If you are struggling to get 163 out of 166 ram then the ram should not be the problem except for the lack of quantity.:(

yeah I guess, well at least i got more out of that voltage pin-mod than I would have wished for so i'm happy running at 160 fsb stable!!!!

I think that aint bad for a locked multiplier of 13.5!

That is a very nice overclock.

Just make sure it's Prime95 Torture Test stable for 12-24 hours.

wow should have listen to you guys yesterday after writing thoss post hade it at 162 and scrambleed my HD like 2 times. So much formatting!!!!

uhh

well the only thing i feel bad about is not being able to save my favorites almost forgott e adress to this forum :)

well I'm stable right now at deafult vcore which now is 1.8 thanks to the pin-mod and 160x13.5(locked)=2.17GHz

Thats funny though... how come 1.85 volts openned up in my bios after the 1.8 pin-mod?? Freaky but I'm not complaining!!

can anycalculate what percent of an overclock that is I'm not good with numbers.
From 1.8GHz to 2.17GHz

wow should have listen to you guys yesterday after writing thoss post hade it at 162 and scrambleed my HD like 2 times. So much formatting!!!!

Thats funny though... how come 1.85 volts openned up in my bios after the 1.8 pin-mod?? Freaky but I'm not complaining!!

Have you changed the divider? your pci bus is out of spec dude.
:eh?:

Opened in bios? its because the pin mod maked it think 1.85Vcore is the default, so your bios will let you use it. undo the pin mod and id imagine it will go away.

can anycalculate what percent of an overclock that is I'm not good with numbers.
From 1.8GHz to 2.17GHz
Just over 20%. :clap: Only got mine to 15% more. :cry: Think you best leave it there after your hard drive problems. People on this forum do not usualy give you good advise for no reason .It usually takes a disaster before you realise that it was good advise :beer:

No... you dont understand the default cpu vcore is 1.8 volts.

What I said was that now I have the option to selectio higher up to 1.85 volts in my bios as if it was meant to be that way.

the defaut is 1.8 but i have the option to select hight is all.

If you did the pin mod and default is now 1.8 instead of 1.7 then it worked. If you really want to go to 1.85 volts and try for more overclock then go ahead . That choice is yours. Personally i would leave it as you are after your problems.:-/

I would try and push your FSB to 166 MHz, if your board does have a /5 divider, then 166 might well be stable for you.

166 X 13.5 = 2241 MHz, should be possible with 1.85V of Vcore, and a decent copper aftermarket CPU cooler, with a good 80mm fan. You should be able to get a Thermalright "SLK800A", and a 80mm Panaflow "M1A" fan for an extremely low price through an online retailer.

Upgrading your cooling is the least expensive, and most effective way for you to get some more MHz gains out of your processor right now, or even just lower your temperatures considerably. It's definetely worth your time and money to grab a new heatsink.

Good luck :).

doublejack said:
Is your CPU unlocked? If it is you should be able to OC higher by changing the multi.

If it's locked then I suggest buying a new motherboard. In addition to the above AGP/PCI bus problems you are also running into voltage limitations and the fact that your motherboard was never designed to exceed 133Mhz on the FSB. At 160+ you are well out of spec, and the motherboard is most likely the source of your stability issues. Get a good nForce2 motherboard and you won't have these problems.
i got tha nForce2 :attn: mobo and seems to be a good mobo for OC'ing . Although i also got a 2200+ Thorton chip locked, Hmmmm............wondering what i could get it to? ;)

Post specs for a meaningful answer, if you're using the ones in your sig, generic PC2100 usually doesn't go into high 150-s FSB or higher when they're 100% insync, which they should be (not Auto or anything other than 100%)

If you're locked at 13.5, then 13.5 170-something FSB may be expected for an average Thorton but with non-retail cooling.

Retail Thorton cooling may not be good for a stable major overclock. 2.3 GHz is a major overclock for a Thorton.

No VIA k7 chipset under a kt333 has a /5 divider, certainly not a kt266(a). I got my old Abit KR7A (kt266a) to 183 stable which was something like 44 or 45mhz pci. It mostly took alot of burning in for every couple mhz, but it was totally stable. Remember, your video card may be limiting you too, same with onboard stuff. Disable/pull everything you dont need until you find the offending component :) Thats a nice overclock any way you look at it though. Good going man.

-RuKK

Back