• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP Problems+Recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andyuk_26

Hello all,

I have been having some problems with my ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo and need some help/advice.

I have built my system specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
1GB Corsair PC3200
ASUS A8V Deluxe
Antec 450PSU

also I had a Inno3d GeForce 6800GT 256mb but have been having problems with that.

It would run games ok for roughly 5-10mins before crashing/freezing and booting me back to desktop. After many rebuilds and tweaking I found that If I set my AGP speed to X4 in the BIOS things were stable.

I have since returned the Inno3d 6800GT but just wondered if anyone has any other ideas or solutions.
All CPU and case temps are fine, so that is not the problem.

Also, I am now using my old ATI 9000 :rolleyes: and it runs fine.

Another reason for asking this is that I must buy another card and wondered if anyone has a similar setup and could recommend a stable and good card.

Sorry for ranting on

Many Thanks in advance.

Andy :bang head

Andy,
I would recommend a 6600GT (XFX) or a Gainward 6800 (if you find one!). The BFG 6x00's are pretty good too. Did you set the AGP Voltage to 1.6V?

Before you buy any VC. Download speedfan install it and Game for about 2 hours. I'd like to see the voltage fluctuations/readings on the PSU lines.

Ah so could it be a problem with the PSU?.. Is this a known fault?.
Thanks again
Andy

It may not be. We don't know for sure if your PSU is flaky unless we run a few tests. I'm hazarding a guess because Antec don't exactly inspire confidence. From what I have read, Antec seemed to have not adhered to the guidelines/requirements put out by AMD/Intel. Hence, they are not very reliable.

Again, I have no first hand experience with any Antec PSU. In fact even a trusted name like Fortron would have its own quirks/glitches. Hence we must deal with this on a case by case basis i.e limiting observations to your PSU.

pm deception' ' or OklahomaWolf for more details about problems with Antec PSU's.

Good Luck!

Back