• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I change my AGP speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Über~PhLuBB

Jedi Knight Senior
SiSoft Sandra says my AGP speed is at 1X, and that it's capable of 2X. Though my motherboard manual says the board is capable of 4X. (BCM confirmed my board is only 2X capable)

In any case, how can I set the AGP speed? None of that "Upgrade your chipset drivers, you can change the AGP setting when you..." stuff. I'm alredy upgraded to the latest drivers, and it didnt change my AGP speed from 1X. No more upgrades for a LOOOOONG time. Too many problems with that.

My Vidcard is a Visiontek GeForce2 Ultra, so you can't blame that.

I know for a FACT that you can change AGP speeds via software, there's a program on www.tweakfiles.com, down at the very bottom of the Video page, but it's settings dont last through a restart, and it doesnt actually work, because my 3DMark200X scores are exactly the same before and after changing the AGP speed with that program.

If you have a VIA chipset you can download the newest VIA 4-in-1 drivers and install the AGP drivers in turbo mode which will allow 4x.

CrackedSKull if your motherboard is set to 4x and your card is running in 1x then you need to enable 4x thru software.
If you are using a via chipset board installing the via 4 in 1 drivers
in turbo mode should do it.

Placid said:
CrackedSKull if your motherboard is set to 4x and your card is running in 1x then you need to enable 4x thru software.
If you are using a via chipset board installing the via 4 in 1 drivers
in turbo mode should do it.

My how good minds think alike.

PhLuBB what model is your motherboard and what operating system are you using and what video card card drivers are you using?

Placid said:
PhLuBB what model is your motherboard and what operating system are you using and what video card card drivers are you using?

I can't install the VIA 4 in 1's. My mobo is a BCM QS754, which uses the AMD 750 and 751 chipsets. I've already upgraded my drivers, using AMD's 4 in 1 driver set. As I said in the original post, that didn't change the AGP speed, but it did help a little with my 3DMark scores (Which were at a pitiful 550 before, now they're at ~6100, but I know I should be getting 9500+).

I run Win98SE.

And I'm using the latest Detonator 4 XP drivers (21.81) for my Visiontek GeForce2 Ultra. My card is currently overclocked to 305 core, 517 mem. (I have a huge GPU HS/F, but havn't gotten to attaching some massive RAMsinks yet)

Placid said:
Go here
http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q1/000214/agp-05.html
And follow the instructions for modifying your registry.

If that does not work I give up.

Well, I tried both registry entries. The first one (Although it is for my chipset) didn't change the AGP speed. The second reg hack (Although for a different chipset, and different CPU) technically worked. SiSoft Sandra reported that the AGP speed was at 2X. Although my 3DMark2001 score didnt change one bit.

I honestly appreciate your help. I'm terribly sorry you didnt see your labor come to fruitition, in the form of my 3DMark2001 scores skyrocketing.

I've broken down and started bidding on Asus K7V's and Abit A7K's. I should have one by the end of next week.

Back