• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Rig Finished, time to Bench.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jjdeltor

Registered
Ok so my rig is finally built up. Before joining the OC crowd I want to bench at the stock settings. So far here is what I gather I need to test my system:

-3DMark '03 & '05
-SiSoft Sandra (what version should I get and what are difference in free vs. retail)
-PCMark '04
-Prime95
-SuperPi

I am complete noob to the benching things so suggestions on what to use on the different parts of my system (processor, GPU, HDs, optical drives, RAM, etc.) will be very much appreciated. Guides on how to use them would also be appreciated.

What about burn-in; should I do this before benching? Thanks for all of the help you can send my way.

- J

Note: I am currently going through the stickies to gleam more knowledge on the best way to tackle benching.

My Rig:
-3.4GHz D0 Prescott (SL7E6)
-Sapphire X800 XTPE
-Samsung Sata 120Gb Raid Array (Raid 1)
-1 Gig Dual Channal Corsair PC4000 (2.5-3-3-6; 2.85v)
-P4C800 E-Dlx (droop mod) Rev1
-OCZ 520w PSU
-Air Cooled w/ XP90 & Delta 92mm, and 5 case fans

Nice rig, I want to switch over to a prescott and some faster RAM, and water cool that bad boy. I'm eager to see what kind of o/c you get with an XP90. As well as how far you can push your ram.

Download and run PCmark2004 first. That will be the toughest benchmark for stability. Just get the most recent free version of Sandra... like 2004 I think. PCmark2002 has good CPU, memory, and HDD benchies, better than Sandra in my opinion. 3Dmark2003 and 2005 are mainly vid card tests. Prime95 is more of a stress test and stability tester than a true benchmark. You don't need to do any significant burn-in as long as you are stable and temps are good.

pcmark04 is a pretty good stability test....but in all honesty counter-strike:source is a good stress test, it always rapes my computer if my overclock isn't completely stable. :) HL:Deathmatch is a good stability test because it is so demanding, lol.

Back