• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please evaluate my system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc_byagi

Wow, I haven't posted in a while, just came back from overseas.
Since I sold my previous A64 system, I'm hoping you guys can help me evaluate my system while I wait for them to arrive. It will look like this:
A64 Winchester 3000+ with ASUS A8V 2.0 $280
Geil PC4000 1GB Kit (512x2) $230
Thermaltake Dream Tower Tsunami VA3000BWA $110
Antec NeoPower 480W $110
Thermalright XP-120 with Enermax 120mm $67

along with X800 XT Plat which I already have. I tried to get quality components as possible while I try to keep the price low, please comment on them if there are any suggestions.

oc_byagi said:
Wow, I haven't posted in a while, just came back from overseas.
Since I sold my previous A64 system, I'm hoping you guys can help me evaluate my system while I wait for them to arrive. It will look like this:
A64 Winchester 3000+ with ASUS A8V 2.0 $280
Geil PC4000 1GB Kit (512x2) $230
Thermaltake Dream Tower Tsunami VA3000BWA $110
Antec NeoPower 480W $110
Thermalright XP-120 with Enermax 120mm $67

along with X800 XT Plat which I already have. I tried to get quality components as possible while I try to keep the price low, please comment on them if there are any suggestions.

1. I haven't heard anything bad about the Asus A8V, but I'd still recommend the MSI K8N Neo2. If MSI isn't your thing, then the Asus is still an acceptable buy.

2. I wouldn't go for plain Geil if I were you. Basically, Geil has been known to have some issues with NVIDIA chipsets, though this is particularly evident on the NF2 chipset. Anyhow, I wouldn't pass up some good TCCD for that price. You can get 2x512 Patriot PC 3200 (with XBL Technology) TCCD for under $230.

3. Stay away from Antec units in your next Athlon 64 rig. I'd go into this more, but it has been said many times. Furthermore, I left a tidbit on Antec power supplies in my massive DFI/NF4 thread. Anyhow, I'd be much more comfortable looking at a 470W Powerstream or Fortron 530W.

deception``

Looks good. Winchester (so it's 90 nm) is a good choice. I just don't like the ASUS from past experience. Also I would go with a NF4 mobo. DFI NF4 Ultra D would be my choice. NF4 is a big leap in technology. SATA2 (3 GB/sec), 2000 FSB (2 GHz), PCI-express(X16), etc. The biggest computer bog down is the HD so the SATA2 should really help (when they decide to make the SATA2 HDs).

You have a X800XT which most are AGP so I'm assuming it is AGP so many the NF4 may not work for you. But I would move to NF4 if all possible.

If he already has an X800XT that he wanted to go with a A8V then it's probably a AGP version, and it's not likely he'll get a PCI-E version so NF4 is probably not an option. Personally I don't like VIA chipsets, I just have found too many problems with them in the past (after extended use).

deception`` said:
1. I haven't heard anything bad about the Asus A8V, but I'd still recommend the MSI K8N Neo2. If MSI isn't your thing, then the Asus is still an acceptable buy.

2. I wouldn't go for plain Geil if I were you. Basically, Geil has been known to have some issues with NVIDIA chipsets, though this is particularly evident on the NF2 chipset. Anyhow, I wouldn't pass up some good TCCD for that price. You can get 2x512 Patriot PC 3200 (with XBL Technology) TCCD for under $230.

3. Stay away from Antec units in your next Athlon 64 rig. I'd go into this more, but it has been said many times. Furthermore, I left a tidbit on Antec power supplies in my massive DFI/NF4 thread. Anyhow, I'd be much more comfortable looking at a 470W Powerstream or Fortron 530W.

deception``

Hmmm, well I probably would feel more comfortable with A8V over MSI from what I experienced with Neo Plat (S754), and my friend is using A8V as well. For RAM, I just bought Geil PC4000 because it's a cheaper way of guranteeing the high FSB, I never had luck with high overclocking RAM in AXP systems and so was my A64 systems.
One thing bothers me is the point 3 you brought up, how is NeoPower a bad PSU for A64??? I've read about 4 reviews and made my decision. If you have stated in other threads, please link me to it.

And yes, the reason I picked KT880PRO over NF3 is because of AGP slots, and I would wait until things mature anyways, so it'll be at least 6 months of wait even if I were to go NF4.
Thank you for all the help so far, I welcome any additional thoughts!

Super Nade said:
I agree with Deception on the RAM and PSU.

May I suggest the GSkill PC4400 for your Memory. Please look at my A8V thread for specific memory modules to avoid and the recommended ones.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=332591

Hope this helps!

Which one should I get??? http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1

And your link seems to indicate some problems with Winchesters. Is it better to go with Newcastle???
Also, I remember Forton PSU's being loud, what could be some alternatives?

oc_byagi said:
One thing bothers me is the point 3 you brought up, how is NeoPower a bad PSU for A64??? I've read about 4 reviews and made my decision. If you have stated in other threads, please link me to it.

Antec recieved a lot of bad press because their older model units were not properly built according to Athlon 64 and Prescott designs. Hence, newer modules have more ampage than their older brothers, even if they are labeled as the same unit. Anyway, I still am not too fond of my newer Antec units when compared to my current OCZ or older PC&C. Here's what I posted concerning the older Antec units:

deception`` said:
WARNING ON ANTEC POWER SUPPLIES: Lately, Antec units have seen a loss in quality. This has been especially apparent on Athlon 64 units, as many ex-Antec owners have found that their power supply simply was not cut out to power their K8 system. This is due to the fact that earlier Antec models were not designed according to Athlon 64 specifications. Furthermore, they were vary much castrated in terms of power, which made it very difficult to them to keep up with newer Prescott and K8 systems. Let's take my Antec TP 550W as an example. My first 550W, purchased in January, came with 24A on the +12 volt. Over the summer, I RMA'd my unit and recieved a brand-new 550W, which came with 30A on the +12 volt. So you can just imagine how some of their lesser models have been castrated in the same manner. I have no personal issues with Antec as a whole, but currently I do not feel comfortable in recommending their units to the Athlon 64 enthusiast. And if you already own a low-to-midrange equivalent, NOW is a very good time to consider an upgrade.

For RAM, I just bought Geil PC4000 because it's a cheaper way of guranteeing the high FSB, I never had luck with high overclocking RAM in AXP systems and so was my A64 systems.

Oh, and that Patriot ram i mentioned is guarunteed to run 250 @ 2.5-3-3-7 timings. That is probably lower than the Geil you have in mind (they probably do the same at 3-4-4-8).

deception``

I don't exactly know which Antec PSU you guys are referring to as "poor quality" but Maximum PC and the other Japanese PC magazine I read both states that at 60V input, NeoPower and PCPC were the only PSU to be able to run out of makers like Coolermaster, Thermaltake, OCZ, Vantec, Ultra.
I'll probably get NeoPower either way since I hear it's really quiet with 120mm.

I would go with the winchester, simply because ASUS have the 1009, final release BIOS ,out and I have not heard people complain about it.

No point going with a NC. As for the Fortron, it is a bit loud but once the fan grills are removed, you will see a drop in noise levels. An additional advantage is that the PSU fans push A LOT of air! I saw a temp difference of about 1C when I switched PSU's from the generic raidmax to the Fortron.

The link you provided is dead.

Also,GSkill PC4400 guarentee 275MHz.

oc_byagi said:
I don't exactly know which Antec PSU you guys are referring to as "poor quality" but Maximum PC and the other Japanese PC magazine I read both states that at 60V input, NeoPower and PCPC were the only PSU to be able to run out of makers like Coolermaster, Thermaltake, OCZ, Vantec, Ultra.
I'll probably get NeoPower either way since I hear it's really quiet with 120mm.

I wouldn't really place my faith on Maximum PC and other magazines when it comes to buying PC hardware. Hell, I'm sure I might have looked at an FX 5800 had I opened up a GamePro or EGM! Anyhow, I wish you well on your purchase, and I hope the Neopower works out for you.

deception``

Super Nade said:
I would go with the winchester, simply because ASUS have the 1009, final release BIOS ,out and I have not heard people complain about it.

No point going with a NC. As for the Fortron, it is a bit loud but once the fan grills are removed, you will see a drop in noise levels. An additional advantage is that the PSU fans push A LOT of air! I saw a temp difference of about 1C when I switched PSU's from the generic raidmax to the Fortron.

The link you provided is dead.

Also,GSkill PC4400 guarentee 275MHz.

Ooops, sorry, I just wanted to see if the 3 models newegg has for G.Skill PC4400 have anything different except for timings, because I would get the cheapest one but I don't want to pay anymore than that. 275MHz is definitely attractive though.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-231-004&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-231-002&depa=1 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-231-006&depa=1
OK, I will be adjusting my orders.

oc_byagi said:
Ooops, sorry, I just wanted to see if the 3 models newegg has for G.Skill PC4400 have anything different except for timings, because I would get the cheapest one but I don't want to pay anymore than that. 275MHz is definitely attractive though.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-231-004&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-231-002&depa=1 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-231-006&depa=1
OK, I will be adjusting my orders.

No difference - you're just paying more for lower timings.

deception``

O.K ,I don't think the extra $30 is worth the expense (deception may have a better answer). I'd suggest you go for the 2.5-4-4-8 instead of the 2.5-3-3-7. Both are Samsung TCCD so you'll be in great shape for raw Freq performance and real world use.
If you are a benchie enthusiast, you may look at the more expensive option.

I suggest the cheaper TCCD based RAM.

Super Nade said:
O.K ,I don't think the extra $30 is worth the expense ... I'd suggest you go for the 2.5-4-4-8 instead of the 2.5-3-3-7. Both are Samsung TCCD so you'll be in great shape for raw Freq performance and real world use...I suggest the cheaper TCCD based RAM.

Right on the money here. Besides, there's nothing that says that the 2.5-4-4-8 cannot run 275 Mhz using 2.5-3-3-7; rather, they simply guaruntee it differently. Either way you look at it, the price difference simply isn't worth the 1-2 fps you'll never see.

deception``

Ok, so it's going to look like this now:
A64 Winchester 3000+ with ASUS A8V Deluxe 2.0 $280
Thermaltake Dream Tower $110
G.Skill PC4400 $240
Antec NeoPower $110

will be put together with Seagate SATA 7200RPM 200GB and X800 XT Plat.

Thank you very much guys!!!! I hope everything will go smoothly.

oc_byagi said:
Ok, so it's going to look like this now:
A64 Winchester 3000+ with ASUS A8V Deluxe 2.0 $280
Thermaltake Dream Tower $110
G.Skill PC4400 $240
Antec NeoPower $110

will be put together with Seagate SATA 7200RPM 200GB and X800 XT Plat.

Looks good to me. Make sure to keep us posted on your results. :D

deception``

Looks good. Good Luck!

One Final Q:
Why don't you wait for the DFi NF4 offering :) ??
I got the A8V because I was tired of all the false release dates for the DFi that were "announced" by these so called reps.

Edit**
*Sorry for asking a redundant Q*
Need more caffine!!!

Last edited:
oc_byagi said:
Hmmm, well I probably would feel more comfortable with A8V over MSI from what I experienced with Neo Plat (S754), and my friend is using A8V as well. For RAM, I just bought Geil PC4000 because it's a cheaper way of guranteeing the high FSB, I never had luck with high overclocking RAM in AXP systems and so was my A64 systems.

And yes, the reason I picked KT880PRO over NF4 is because of AGP slots, and I would wait until things mature anyways, so it'll be at least 6 months of wait even if I were to go NF4.
Thank you for all the help so far, I welcome any additional thoughts!

Back