• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Canadian duties?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CAPiTA

I'm trying to figure out if there would be any duty on the stuff I'm planing to order. I'm not familiar dealing with american purchases. Anyway, I might be dropping $700 Cdn on some new things. Case, HDDs, PSU and rad.

I'm pretty sure that there won't be any taxes, but I'm not too sure. Same thing goes for duties and tariffs. I'm hoping that there won't be any. I'll be shipping with USPS and buying from monarch computers. Can anyone confirm this?

Oh, and if it so happens that there is, how much do you think the duty will be?

Thanks. I'll think I'll do that. Almost forgot about those :D

$52!!?? That is crazy. I was told to avoid UPS and ship with USPS.

A word of warning, sometimes USPS transfers to DHL when shipping across borders, and DHL charges insane brokerage fees as well. What's worse with DHL is that they don't charge right away, but send a letter later on.
I really wish I complained, but I didn't think about it at the time. :rolleyes:

lol, i just crumple them up and toss them in the trash, have not heard from them yet, and its been a long time....

AFAIK, the only duty you'll pay is taxes upon any taxable goods entering the country (if they even open the package up).

Depending where you live, that could be upwards of 15% of the package total + the cost of having a customs agent open the package & inspect it.

you know whats crazy, i paid $38 cnd for a mobo/cpu combo off these fourms, the duty fees came with $35bux cnd....$3 less then what it cost me.

Another time my friend got a mobo for $20bux and the duty fees cost him $45

Its all based on how much the item is worth. Like if you were to have someone in the US recieve the item for u, and then ship it to you saying its worth$10, you wouldn't be charged duty. A problem with this is, you can't insure something for $700 and say its worth $10.

apu318 said:
I just got a hard-drive in today that i bought for about 120 canadian.. AND UPS FREEKIN CHARGED ME 52$ IN BROKERAGE FEES! that pisses me off HARDCORE. :mad:! greedy ********. thats a bit less than 1/2 the drives value! its bs.

...UPS charged me $44 in brokerage fees for a $107 vidcard, which although still cheaper than buying the card in Canada, it took a huge bite out of what I saved... :bang head

SimGuy said:
AFAIK, the only duty you'll pay is taxes upon any taxable goods entering the country (if they even open the package up).

Depending where you live, that could be upwards of 15% of the package total + the cost of having a customs agent open the package & inspect it.

Yes you are correct. There are no duties on computer components due to NAFTA, if your in doubt phone The Canada Customs and Revenue Agency and tell them what you plan on bringing into Canada. You will need to pay P.S.T. and G.S.T. and any U.S. State Tax applied to you purchase. The U.S. State tax, if applied, is non refundable, however, Americans can apply to get Canadian taxes refunded :eh?:

Your best bet is to get a U.S. friend to act as a broker and have them send it as a small value gift...then cross your fingers. I have a good friend in Portland and I'll usually get him to bring stuff across the border when he comes home to visit....thus I pay no shipping, or taxes

...just went through the process with them(ecost and borderfree) as compared to Tigerdirect.ca, I'd save $1.94 buying my P4 520(2.8) in the States. Considering the wait I'd have, it just wouldn't save me anything. The deal with Borderfree isn't that you don't get duty fees applied, it's that they include it in the total cost, so you don't get a surprise when the product arrives. Read what it says very carefully, they calculate the exchange rate, the taxes, and the duty(if any) for you, and then give you a total in CAD dollars...

...hell, I could drop the $13 shipping in the gas tank, drive to Markham(Tigerdirect) and be back in less than two hours, and have that puppy ready to install. If I can't save at least $50 on something, it's just not worth it to me to cross-border shop. Waiting 10 business days for an item is trying on my patience. I just could not wait that long to save $20 or $30, make it $50, that=two 24's of beer, I can handle that... :thup:

Wtf!!!

edit: Opinions are like, you know,: everybody has one, but that doesn't mean you're entitled to waive it around the forums in everybody's face. In other words, pick a more civil way to express your opinions. -eobard

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. It is a huge inconvenience. The parts are readily available here, but I a haven't found a store with good prices. Bigfootcomputers has the case and PSU I want, Lian Li 2000B and OCZ 470W PSU, but the prices are ridiculous. I'd be paying more than $120 just to get the same parts. I wouldn't mind if I only had to pay $40 more or so, but what they're charging is extreme! They have good customer service, but I'm not going to be dishing out an extra $120 for a nice email.

yea, seems only newegg sells patriot ram, i need a canadian site that sells it!

Yea duty is applied to everything bought from U.S.
When i use ebay i ask the seller to send as a gift :p

CAPiTA said:
Wow. Thanks. That is the best CDN price I've seen on that case. I'll have to give them a call.

...I agree, those prices are good, on just about everything. I can buy what I want from BC, and have it shipped to me, for less than what I would pay "cash'n'carry" here in Ontario. Now that's sad... :bang head

Back