• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old gateway with MSI 6330 cpu upgrade question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mxa

I have an old Gateway computer with an MSI 6330 Ver 2.1 motherboard with a 1.3GHz Athlon CPU. I've checked the MSI website however I could not find my board/version on their CPU compatible list. I could only find the MSI 6330 Lite and the MSi 6330 LE3. Of course, I would like to upgrade the CPU on this board, if possible. Has anyone had experience with this board and knows the possible CPU choices I have, or can anyone provide some suggestions/help?

Thanks

Sinking money into an XP CPU on an old board may not be a wise choice. This is especially true if the board is so old that you can't get information on it at MSI. I think you'd be better off putting in a new CPU and board or putting together a whole new system. I have sunk quite a bit of money into old systems and I've come to regret it because as soon as you update one thing, something else is the bottle neck. In the end the motherboard itself will ony run so fast and no amount of money will change it. I apologize for not answering your question in the way you intended, but I hate to see you throwing your money away in an old system. Good luck with it whatever you choose.

Back