• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help a n00b out plz!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jintoxicated

Registered
CPU P4/3.0EGHz 800M 478P/1MB HT RT

This was recently purchased for $186 by me. Its brand new never used. Retail.
I was wondering what motherboard would go good with this that would be cheap but a good mobo? I want to overclock this to the max with stability. I have $250 to spend on mobo/case/cooling. If anyone can help me budget my money it would be greatly appretiated.

Also, i have a p4 2.4ghz at the moment. i was wondering if there was any chance i could overclock it without any extra cooling? maybe just an extra fan or what? I heard someone clocked theirs to 3ghz with stock. Please help me out since im going to sell this one! Maybe i need another mobo for this too? most likely..

Alright...For running a Prescott, your best bet with a motherboard would be the Abit IC7-G Max II which runs for $135 at newegg. Case will need good airflow since...hey youre running a pressy :p

There are a few different options you can go with pending on your style. Go to LANs, you would want aluminum, just something with good airflow and you don't care for the size or weight, steel.

I guess i'm an Antec fanboy, but considering your budget, You could go with the Antec PlusView1000AMG for $69. I have this case and it has great airflow IMHO. If you take your computer around, or want a more fashonable approach, you could go with the Antec Super LANBoy for $77.50. 2x120mm fans give you good case ventilation and less noise.

Cooling, you could go with a Thermalright XP-120 for $47.99 and put a 120mm fan on it. The Sanyo Denkis($5) are the biggest craze right now with their low noise and overall stellar performance.

So. Given those options, you are looking at around $270 max pending where you shop. If you choose to go price watch, make sure you use Reseller Ratings to make sure the site is legit. You could also check out the Vendor Discussion forum here to see if anyone else has experience with a site you want to buy from.

As to your 2.4 comment. No CPU has a "specific" overclock. They all differ, although the 2.4, 2.8, 3.0, and 3.2 CPUs C and E versions are known to be higher overclockers in general. Hope this helps. And WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!
and the sickness...

Back