• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help please...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darthanakin23

O.K. I first want to apologize because I posted this in the other section but I did not get a response for a week because no one visited that topic...So I am going to try asking here, here goes: I bought a Zboard Keyboard and it worked with USB. I connected the keyboard and then used my PS/2 keyboard which is very old to turn on USB Legacy device in the bios but that didnt work, I then installed the drivers and that didnt work. By the way they said it should be read right when Windows boots up, the odd thing is, they keyboard works in the BIOS of my mobo, like I can toggle around using it, but when booting in Windows it then doesnt work. This is very odd and I have turned off services for optimal performance, is there a certain Service that I need to turn on? I just dont get it, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, this definitely is in the wrong place.

But I wonder if a USB to PS2 adapter would work - like the ones that come with USB mice. Personally, I think it's better to use the PS2 ports for the mouse and keyboard because of better compatibility and to free up USB ports for all those great little gadgets that keep tempting us.

Sound very much like a windows driver problem since you can run fine in bios. Go into yout device manager and reupdate the USB driver. Make sure you update your USB to 2.0. The best way to do this is to delete the driver and reinstall through Internet. It'll link you to Windows Update and automatically install the most updated driver.

Well

Well this is weird, because my friend has a flash driver that is USB 2.0 and it works fine in the same USB port that im plugging this into.....Its a brand new motherboard with SP 2. I just dont get it....anyone know if i need any certain services on to make it work? I have a lot of them turned off for optimale performance, since most arent really needed....please any suggestions?

You may still have the old USB driver on it. Upgrading to SP 2 does not automatically update your USB driver. Re-install driver from Device Manager should clear up your problem. If not.. Sure beats me..

I don't think it's going to be some Windows service that needs to be turned on especially since a flash/key drive works in the same port. Some USB devices are a bit flaky even if your USB driver is up to date. You could try multiple key drives to ensure that Windows is auto detecting them properly. These days you just expect a PC with W2K, Me or XP to work well with USB.

I did look quickly at specs for some USB keyboards and many do come with USB to PS2 adapters so that's still an option. Suppose an adapter that comes with a USB mouse would work as well.

I have had that same problem with my Sinheiser USB headset until I updated my USB driver. Unless it is bad keyboard, I would bet on the driver. Updating the driver is very easy to do (only takes a sec). Have you tried it? If all else fails, I guess going with the PS2 adapter is not bad. Unllike the mouse, there is realy not much different between USB and PS2 keyboard.

Back