• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD athlon XP 2400+ locked ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hyde

Hi. I got this little problem.

I have a athlon xp 2400+ processor and here's details:

AXDA2400DKV3C
AIXBH 0328SPMW

If i understand correct it's made year 2003 week 28 and should not be locked.
But everything i can change from the default (which is 15 X 133) is that fsb value. Multiplier stays the same all time even if i try to change it.
I think this is Thoughbred-B processor.
Any help would be nice.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I had an XP 2400+ (AIUCB 0241 XPFW) that was not locked. I could set multipliers up and down from the stock 15.

I don't know if the Barton lock date after the 39th week of 2003 applies to T-Bred Bs but assumed that it did since my XP 2400+ was unlocked. Yours is 0328 and of course before 0339.

Have you tried to change it?

hyde said:
...If i understand correct it's made year 2003 week 28 and should not be locked.
But everything i can change from the default (which is 15 X 133) is that fsb value. Multiplier stays the same all time even if i try to change it.
I think this is Thoughbred-B processor.
Any help would be nice.

Thanks.

Your post changed and the above was added so my reply is redundant.

Does your motherboard allow you to change multipliers? What's your mobo?

Quentin said:
Your post changed and the above was added so my reply is redundant.

Does your motherboard allow you to change multipliers? What's your mobo?

Hi and thank's for your answers.
My mobo is MSI KT4V-L. All thing i know is that in manual it says that this mobo can do overclocking.

Oh and yes i have tried changing multiplier but no luck.

I can go only to 15 X 150 which gives me 2250 Mhz. If i try 155 my computer will not even POST (must do bios reset).

Last edited:
I dont think that board has an agp/pci lock, so you have to change the divider.

dividers are:

FSB/<divider> to get pci speed, agp speed is double that.

Try to keep pci close to 33mhz, and agp to 66(double pci.)

Sounds like your 2400 is locked. Mine is older than yours so either there was an earlier cutoff date for T-Breds or it was an oddball that slipped through the cracks.

It seems that AMD sometimes releases early batches of a new processor unlocked. They're crazy like a fox knowing people like us soon will be turning over rocks trying to find the holy grail! There was no reason early Bartons had to be unlocked unless AMD was in a real hurry to get them to market and let in-house engineering samples be produced in quantity. I suspect they did it because once the word got out, sales boomed. After a successful launch they locked the multiplier and let the feeding frenzy begin!

hyde said:
I can go only to 15 X 150 which gives me 2250 Mhz. If i try 155 my computer will not even POST (must do bios reset).

If your multiplier is locked and your at 2250 you will probably need more vcore to get stability.. what is your current vcore what memory do you have and have you ran the prime95 tourture test at 2250mhz to see if that setting is stable.

It is a popular misconception for people to think their cpu is locked when in fact the problem is your mobos inability (common with most mobos) to manipulate the 8x bit of the multi when set to high (for any default multi over 12.5). In order to gain access to lower multis you have to connect the last L3 bridge on your cpu or do the corresponding wire trick then you willhave access to ALL multis up to 12.5. However this can only bw recommended if you have RAM that can take advantage of higher FSB (at the very least PC2700).

I second what the oc detective says. Just downloaded the manual for your board and the multi is adjusted in the bios so above 12.5 will need the wire mod to access them. I needed it on mine.

Try to use a multiplier lower than 12.5 in the bios and see if that lowers you cpu speed. If it does then your chip is unlocked, if not then its locked and you will have to follow oc detectives advice to gain access the lower multipliers. :burn:

Last edited:
i got a Athlon XP 2400+ Tbrd (locked) and i got it running 176 x 13 =2288.mhz w/ retail HSF. Vcore @ 1.68 and is stable w/ 8 hrs of Prime95. idle@41 loaded@56 , 13 is tha lowest that i can go due to tha chip being locked. at this point my DDR pc2100 (Generic) ram is holding me back. my mobo is Biostar m7ncd Pro ver 1.1 ,

snakeman300 said:
If your multiplier is locked and your at 2250 you will probably need more vcore to get stability.. what is your current vcore what memory do you have and have you ran the prime95 tourture test at 2250mhz to see if that setting is stable.

My current setting is:

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+ @ 2255.0 MHz
2 X Kingston 256 MBytes PC2700 (166 MHz)
Chipset VIA KT400

I tried to change the Vcore but there was no help of that. And haven't run prime test yet but it feels very stable (CPU 46C, mobo 35C @idle).

I have tried different multis below but it allways stays in 15.
This mobo is annoying because whenever I set those values so that my computer locks up I will have to reset BIOS with a jumper. No other way.

Thanks.

[EDIT]
Just tried that prime95 and my comp crashed in 5 sec's. I gues it wasn't so stable after all =)
Now running again with stock settings (15@133) and going ok.
Maybe buy a new mobo and cpu if I want more power =).

Last edited:
The cpu is not superlocked your mobo is the problem with the inability to change multis. Only soltek, dfi and abit mobos can easily manipulate the multis from high to low when the 8x bit is high by default (multis 13 and over). Thats why you will see some people saying they can change the multi (eg Quentin) whereas others say they cant.

hyde said:
[EDIT]
Just tried that prime95 and my comp crashed in 5 sec's. I gues it wasn't so stable after all =)
Now running again with stock settings (15@133) and going ok.
Maybe buy a new mobo and cpu if I want more power =).

Why have you given up so easy :( If its your mobo not letting you change the multi then just raise the fsb gradually in 1 or 2 mhz jumps at a time. start at around 140fsb and run prime for a bought 1 hour. If that is stable up the fsb another 2mhz and try again. you will get errors pretty quick if you are not stable. If prime errors then add a tad more voltage and try again from the fsb you errored out at. It is along and tedious job but if you do it correctly you will know the limit of your chip. every time you get an error in prime just add a tad more volts but try keep your prime load temp below 52*c.

Btw prime needs to run stable for between 12 - 24 hours for a really stable setup but just for basic testing like what you will be doing 30mins to 1 hour will do at this stage.

Back