• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help powering my fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitebear4

i am running low on molex connectors, so i was wondering if you guys thought that an idea i came up with would be fine or not.

both of my fans are 4 pins with another 4 pin splitting out. so, i was wondering if i could connect a molex connector from my psu onto one of the fan's connectors and then attach the fans spare connector onto my second fan. would this work?

the wire coming from the psu is at the same time, gonna power my 6600gt with its other connector thats splitting out. would having this wire power more than one thing underpower the video card?

Just because you are low on molex doesn't mean you are low on power. With my old case, I had all 6 fans chained together, only using one molex from the PSU.

You should keep the fan chain separate from anything else, however.

if i do that, then what other options do i have in powering my video card? would it be okay to power my video card and cd rom with two molex connectors coming from one wiring?

urgh, the wire that powers my video card cant reach the cd rom drive with my other molex connector. my only option is to power my video card with one molex connector of a wire and the chain of fans with the other molex connector. how exactly is this worse than leaving my fans alone with one molex connector and keeping my video card and cd rom drive together?

edit: i MIGHT be able to somehow reach the cd rom drive with the wire that is powering my video card if i move the drive down one bay

but exactly HOW is it better to leave the fans alone, with the cd rom drive being powered with the video card? how is powering the video card with the fans and leaving the cd rom drive alone, worse?

I wouldnt put the fans on the same line as your video card or hard drive, but you can probably plug them safely in with your video card.

Yuriman said:
I wouldnt put the fans on the same line as your video card or hard drive, but you can probably plug them safely in with your video card.

sorry, maybe im not understanding this correctly...so should i or should i not put the fans in the same line as my video card

take a look at this sticky: link
It seems as if a faulty fan can take hardware down with it, that's connected to the same chain.
Of course this is not guaranteed to happen and all may work out well for a long time. Its just a precaution to run all fans apart from the other system components.

If you run out of options you can order extensions and splitters. Theres lots of options to get ur fans together, But generally keep all fans on one line, vid card and HD on another and cd roms and such on one, just incase one of the least expensive parts surges a line or anything. Specially with the fortron, i had 3-4 extra molex's left after i wired 5 fans, cd-rw drive and vid card, my HD ran off the sata line that comes with the fortron

Back