• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 GT to ultra, but oc still crashing????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CDRacingZX6R

Ok guys I need you help. Ive seen in a number of fourms people having much better luck with this than me, maybe someone who has gone through this before knows what Im droing wrong, but here goes.

Well I tried flashing my bios on the card to ultra, and upped the volt to 1.4, but for some reason it still frezes whenever I go higher than say 425 or so. At 425 its stable, and artifact free (where when it was with the GT bios, at this OC it was somewhat artifact filled in some aspects of benching). So the artifact free is at least a positive addition to the new bios, however my mark 03 and 05 scores went down. 03 went down by almost 200.

The problem is that Ive seen other people who also have the pny 6800 gt, and they have had theres overclocked to 440/1.20, etc and are getting mad scores. Either I got a bad card, or im not doing something right.

Ive only done it this way.. nvflas442 the bios(Trying both in windows and in dos mode), after I edited an ultra bios like for example one time I tried the standard ultra bios offered by nvida, which is 400 1.10 for both 2d and 3d, (While giving 2d 1.1volt, and 3d both 1.4 and then in desperation 1.5) etc. Then flashed it. The changes take place seemingly perfectly, but if I run a benchmark while overclocked barely up to 425 or a little more, on certain tests it crashes up with a really colorful screen, and sometimes reboots. The problem is, I thought it might be overheatng, but it hasnt once gone over 61c. (I am currently water cooling my video card). So what else can it be? It should have a higher limit than that I think.

So any suggestions, tips.

:bang head :cry: :confused:

Sentential said:
61c* is awefully high for watercooling. Either way, try a different BIOS and see if it helps

Ive tried a few already. Any all around good one you can recommend? I tried the evga extreme bios, the regular nivida ultra, and a customized GT bios.

And that was once about as high as it could be under load. Normally under load it doesnt hit more than 55c or so, and while benching, it was just really hot in my room that time. And at idle it sits about 41-43c. I didnt think that was to bad?

OK, so I losed my ram timmings in bios slightly and it seems that the computer is still getting the same score ball park, but is running much more stable when benchmarking at higher clocks. Does that make sense>?

Vector said:
nice bike :thup:
That isnt helping bro :rolleyes:
CDRacingZX6R said:
OK, so I losed my ram timmings in bios slightly and it seems that the computer is still getting the same score ball park, but is running much more stable when benchmarking at higher clocks. Does that make sense>?
Yea most likely your RAM was overheating / running with too tight of a timings. I remember way back when that nV had to release a new BIOS to loosen he RAM timings becaues people complained about it crashing

yeah RAM timings have a lot do do with it. both system and video RAM. i can run perfectly stable at timings of 2-2-2-6 on my system RAM, but then if i go over about 440/850 on my video card, it artifacts and sometimes crashes. if i loosen system RAM timings to somewhere around 2-3-3-7 or so, i can push the video clocks well over 475/950 (standard FX5950 ultra speeds) before it even artifacts, much less crashes.

it's an FX 5900XT. so i don't know if this experience holds true to your card, but you might like to try it.

so fool around with timings, clocks, and different combinations until you find something that's both fast and stable. that's most of what overclocking is, right? try and try again, test and test again, then always hope it doesn't stop working :p

Back