• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stuartg40

Registered
Hello all,
Well, my X800Pro arrived today. I Installed it in my NF7-S with an XP2800+ and 512mb Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM and I am having MAJOR problems. System won't boot, and if it does, it crashes while beeping at me etc. The flashing light on my aero jet cooler isn't flashing, and the fan seemed to be running slowly, so I adjusted the fan speed and went into BIOS to set defaults and check the CPU temp and it was a bit hot - 55 degrees, but now running at about 37, so its ok. Does the new X800Pro need different voltages? Does it sound like a power supply problem?

Thanks,
Stu.

stuartg40 said:
Hello all,
Well, my X800Pro arrived today. I Installed it in my NF7-S with an XP2800+ and 512mb Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM and I am having MAJOR problems. System won't boot, and if it does, it crashes while beeping at me etc. The flashing light on my aero jet cooler isn't flashing, and the fan seemed to be running slowly, so I adjusted the fan speed and went into BIOS to set defaults and check the CPU temp and it was a bit hot - 55 degrees, but now running at about 37, so its ok. Does the new X800Pro need different voltages? Does it sound like a power supply problem?

Thanks,
Stu.

Yes, it does. But we cannot make such a conjecture unless you provide us with more information. For starters, please provide a complete rundown of your specs, and also tell us what video card you were running before, too.

deception``

Of course, sorry.....

Athlon XP2800+
512MB Corsair XMS PC3200 Ram (2 x 256mb)
New GFX - Radeon X800 Pro 256mb
Old GFX - Radeon 9600XT 128MB
74GB WD Raptor 10000rpm HDD
CDRW
CD
NF7-S Motherboard
400W PSU

Thanks....

yes, card has power which it is sharing with a CDROM drive used very little, as there were no free connectors and I thought that the CD Drive I don't use would be the best device to share the power with.

stuartg40 said:
Of course, sorry.....

Athlon XP2800+
512MB Corsair XMS PC3200 Ram (2 x 256mb)
New GFX - Radeon X800 Pro 256mb
Old GFX - Radeon 9600XT 128MB
74GB WD Raptor 10000rpm HDD
CDRW
CD
NF7-S Motherboard
400W PSU

Thanks....

Honestly, it seems as if a half-decent 400W psu should be able to run this card fine. However, the x800 Pro does draw more power than the 9600 XT, so if your unit is an el-cheapo than the power supply probably is the culprit. I always hate being the "bad psu news guy," but a strong unit can help to prevent these problems. And certainly, if you haven't plugged the Molex into the video card then that might be the problem, too. Nonetheless, I assume that you knew this much, so if you have already done that, then the psu is most likely to blame. Given your current system, you don't have a pressing need for a super-big unit (like my OCZ), as that would be overkill; however, your 400W (which I am assuming to be of a no-name brand) is probably to blame. If possible, please read the +12, +3.3, and +5 volt information off of the sticker on the power supply itself.

deception``

stuartg40 said:
yes, card has power which it is sharing with a CDROM drive used very little, as there were no free connectors and I thought that the CD Drive I don't use would be the best device to share the power with.

If you haven't done so already, disconnect the CD-ROM drive from the line feeding into the x800 Pro. That could be your problem. But you still need to heed my other warnings, too.

deception``

did you try putting the old card back in? also if the card isn't seated properly you can get crashes like that.

The PSU is indeed shoddy an noname (KY-500ATX P4) is model number, the case is alright, but it came without PSU. It says on the sticker.....

+12V - 12A
+5V - 30A
+3.3V- 26A

The figures on the right are allmaximum values in the table on the sticker. Mean anything?

stuartg40 said:
The PSU is indeed shoddy an noname (KY-500ATX P4) is model number, the case is alright, but it came without PSU. It says on the sticker.....

+12V - 12A
+5V - 30A
+3.3V- 26A

The figures on the right are allmaximum values in the table on the sticker. Mean anything?

This means that the power supply simply isn't strong enough to power your system and that x800 on any stable level. I don't mean to seem so negative, but 12 Amps on the +12 volt is absolutely unacceptable. Of course, this is not your fault (you didn't know any better), but you'll probably need to upgrade your power supply before you can enjoy your x800 with any stability. And just for reference: both the CPU and video card draw power from the +12 volt. So it's especially important to make sure you have sufficient ampage on this volt if you ever plan to upgrade either or, or both.

deception``

Last edited:
oh.... thats not so good :(

incidently, it does seem to be working at the moment, as soon as I gave the CPU fan a bit more juice it went alright, but the light still isnt flashing on the cooler which is really weird. I will look in2 getting myself a better psu though definitely, and idea what number I should be looking for in terms of amperage on +12V?

Thanks, you've been great help.

Back