• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

as5 breaking in period

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

i finally got in my as5. i was reading the instructions on the website and it seems simple enough. however, i keep hearing about a breaking in period that isn't mentioned anywhere in the instructions. can anyone point me to a guide for the breaking in period?

EDIT: actually i did see a small blurb about it on their website but they didn't give any details

here is my quick overnight method to curring AS5, on the site it say 200 hours of thermal cycling before it's fully set. What I do is I seat the HS, blast it full heat(prime, gaming, FOLD, what ever you like) for a few hours then shut down and let cool some(to avoid condensation) then if it's winter I put in a plastic bag and leave outside for an hour or so, in summer I put in the freezer(got one of thoses big freezers so I can fit that AMG 1000 plusview case) then after that I sit for half an hour (to avoid condensation again) and fire it up and I get same results as if I let it cure normaly. I did test it last year with twin systems and after the 200 hours the second system showed the same temp(within 1-2C).

Sneaky said:
about a week, and it'll be at its top performance

forgive my n00bishness, for i have never applied thermal paste of any kind. a week of what exactly?

a week of 7 days, one week out of 52 in a year

lmfao... but yah, i hope you get the idea - theres just a break-in period for it to work at its best

the AS5 basically thickens into a stickier substance after being heated by the CPU for about a week (doesnt need to be on 24-7)

it also spreads out more because of the constant pressure on the HSF, so it fills the small voids and makes more contact to transfer the heat

oh ok, i thought there was something special i had to do. so basically if i just shut off my computer now and then over the week i should be ok. thanks for the help

AS5 is strange s***. When you first put it on, you're temps don't look that great. Like the people said before me, just give it time, and it'll cool right down

Just today:

5 min after application: 26C
2 hours later: 23C
8 hours later: 21C

That was with a large variety of load, idle, and powered off.

<3 Water cooling, and <3 AS5 always and forever

this is what it said in the instructions

arctic silver web page said:
After installing the Arctic Silver 5 it is important that you run thru a series of cycles to avoid damage to the processor. Run the Computer for 60 min. at full load then shut it down for 60 min to let it cool and aclimate properly. This must be done for 200 hours non stop for the Arctic Silver 5 to cure properly. Failure to follow these instructions may cause the Arctic Silver 5 to harden and turn into a heat barrier causing the CPU to retain most of its heat.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

j/k lol :eek:

rofl i almost believed you for a second there rhino, i'm holding a printout of the instructions rifling through them going "wtf wtf wtf" :p

it will cure better if it goes through "thermal throttling" which is heating up and cooling down multiple times, turn your computer off when you aren't at it and then let it get up to a load temp *normal gaming* and then turn it off when you aren't using it...basically just getting it to heat up and cool down as much as possible

Or maybe just turn prime95 on and off every hour.

EDIT: Does it seem that I ALWAYS get the first post on the second page?

This thread is still on page one for me :p
And, yea, I would just run prime95 and then seen my computer into standby/hibernate every hour and await like 30 minuets for it to cool down and then turn it back on.

Back