• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Added top exhaust fan - temps down...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lastleg

Registered
Well I had a really nice neat hole cut in the top of the case by a great kid at a local machine shop and I mounted a Creair 120 fan there blowing out. (I read how dangerous the creair can be and intend to swap it out as soon as I can). It's sucking out 37.8cfm @ 2400rpm and at 39dBA it's quite acceptable. The idle CPU socked, as reported by MBM5 has dropped from 47c to 44c . Case went from 26c to 24c. Not at all bad.

Now my two front bottom Vantec Stealth 80's are only pulling in 27cfm each for a total (can you do this?) of 54cfm. I have two Mutant Mods at the back which draw out 37 ea. for a total of 74cfm

So "in" is 54cfm
"out" is 143cfm

Should I leave well enough alone or try to balance this flow better - and if so, any suggestions without getting into "jet-engine" noise? Thx guys!!

since you're using air, definitely change it so its blowing more air in, so that the HSF isnt starved for air - turn around fans preferable near the HSF to blow air near it

Sneaky,

the other thing I've yet to do is remove the four grills as has been described. Too chicken <squack!> to take everything out of the case yet! LOL :rolleyes:

get stronger fans with Fan Controller, pulling 37.8cfm w/ 39dBA is unacceptable, I think Evercool Aluminum Fan will do 79cfm w/ 36dbA

I personally like to have a positive (more air going in) because that means there wont be as many cracks for air to sneak in, dragging dust with it.

I would try to even out the flow a little more, although if you have two rear exhaust fans and one top fan, how are you figuring 143 CFM? Maybe you are adding the power supply fan too? Perhaps a side cover intake is worth considering. Look at the link in my signature about how I modded a cheap case for better air flow.

Hi Batboy.

I may have goofed in the calculations. There's two intake Vantec 80mm @27cfm = 54
Two 80mm exhaust @ 37 = 74
And the top fan, a 120 @ 69

So In = 54
out = 74 + 69 = 143cfm . I *think* <grn>

Didn't take the PSU into account at all.

Back