• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cold HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drop-Top

I cleaned out my alt pc a couple of days ago at a buddies house, then left it in my car for two days. I was about 0 degrees here in MN, and now, my comp freezes when loading windows. Is there a known connection between temp and HDD failure?

did you try reformatting? also is it possible you bumped the drive while transporting it? *dropping the case*

is there a bootable test I can run, and no I haven't tried reformatting, becuase I was trying to avoid losing all my files.

it is a maxtor 7200 ide.

what is really odd, I reformated the HDD, and attempted to do a fresh install, and after it reformated and loaded the setup files, it froze in the exact same place. The only thing I can think about is that there is a bad sector or something that a reformat cannot fix. what do you think?

can you repair that? or is it toast?

know any good 3rd party diagnostic software that would work on a maxtor that is windows bases?

Last edited:
if it freezes in the same place even after a format it might not be the hdd. it could be a piece of hardware failing when windows tries to load the drivers for that particular item. take everythign out of the system except cpu hdd 1 stick of ram and no optical devices if u dotn have to. then if it craps out try diff stick of ram. if it works start addign pieces till it dies then u narrowed it down to whats bad

Back