• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply and Duct Tape

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hokojirou

Registered
I've bought a whole bunch of new computer parts, and I plan to put it in the case where my current computer is at. I moved everything to an older case I have laying around, but I soon realize the mounting screw holes on the case do not match up with the ones on the power supply (it's and old case). What I did was put duct tape on the steel part of the power supply and taped it to the case. There were also some mounts on the case for the power supply, so I duct taped the power supply to there, too. Do you think I will be fine? Anything I should worry about?

Thanks

you will probably be ok, the only concern I would have is if it's on or too close to the vent holes because I could easily see the tape warming up too much and then the tape coming off and *crash* it falls off.

I ran the computer for a good, I'd say, four hours under normal usage, and the case around the power supply has stayed pretty cool to the touch (the steel part where I applied the duct tape.

I was worried about that too, thegreek, but it seems like it won't be too much of a problem. This is only temporary, anyway, until I buy a new case off of newegg.

I didn't cover any vent holes on the PSU. I put the duct tape on the side were there is only steel and no vent holes. I'm still worried about standing the case up, though. I think I may keep it lying on it's side just to be on the safe side.

Thank you for all your help!

What kind of case is this? I've had no problems installing ATX PSUs in old AT towers, but AT or XT desktops needed new holes drilled into them.

I once saw a computer where the HD was held in place by duct tape, thanks to professional installation by Best Buy.

larrymoencurly said:
What kind of case is this? I've had no problems installing ATX PSUs in old AT towers, but AT or XT desktops needed new holes drilled into them.

I once saw a computer where the HD was held in place by duct tape, thanks to professional installation by Best Buy.

It's an old Acer case, but it does support ATX motherboard mounts (obviously, since I have currently an ATX motherboard screwed into the case), but I guess it does not support ATX power supplies? The positioning of the power supply and it's mounting wholes are very odd compared to today's standards. The power supply's positioning is horizontal, and their are no mounting wholes directly on the case to attach from the mounting wholes where the fan and plug is for the PSU (I hope you can follow; it's hard to explain).

It's working fine for what I've done to it so far. I'm still worried about standing up the case, so I'm not going to. I'd rather wait until I get a new case for my newer machine and put the parts back into the original case than having the power supply fall and die. It's a matter of time and money, unfortunately.

Back