• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7200rpm 2.5" drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCGUY112887

Just curious... why aren't 7200rpm laptop HDD's more popular? I was looking around google and it looks like a 60gig 7200rpm 2.5" HDD would cost about the same as a Raptor.

I've always wondered why when I would be on someone's laptop why it would seem so slow next to a desktop... thought about the 2ghz inside it and kept wondering... then it hit me that it probally had a 5200 or 4800rpm drive.

Does anyone here have a 7200rpm drive in their laptop? I know if I get a laptop a 7200rpm is going in :)

I just upgraded from a Seagate Momentus (5400rpm) to that 60GB Travelstar. I do notice that stuff loads faster. It's also a little bit louder, but I don't mind since the constant whine that was coming from the Momentus drive is now gone.

you know i was just thinking that when i just upgraded my girlfriends puter.

i havent checked price yet though but if its as much as a raptor id rather buy myself another raptor than her a new hdd lol selfish me

Well, 7200 2.5" drives are still a novelty, because of its price and the fact that the rest of the industry has not follwed yet (the only model widely available (hitachi 7K80) is already 18 months 'old').

From a performance point of view they are probably the *best* thing you can put on a lappy nowadays... (i.e the single most lacking performance function point in lappys is hard disk speed). So now that prices are coming down (due to more models emerging) I expect they will become more popular.

it's cool, i need one, i only need 10GB for window :) i don't know if they make 7200RPM drives that's only 10GB, i'll just take my old 60GB laptop HDD and put it in an external case for storage lol, i've seen the 2.5" enloser, they're small enough to carry anywhere.

I also swapped from a 5400 to the 7K60 in my lappy and really didn't lost a single battery minute due to added power consumption. Regarding performance, the improvement IS very noticeable in disk intensive tasks.

My laptop came with a stock Hitachi 80GB 4,200 RPM HDD, but I upgraded to the 60GB 7,200 RPM one and things definately load much quicker. I also bought an exclosure for my stock 80GB 4,200 RPM drive. It's nice and small and a good way to back up files. It'll be easy to carry around when I go and travel.

Well worth the cash IMO.

mobileHDD.jpg

Also, when I was researching which drive to get for my laptop, I came across a 50GB, 7,200 RPM 2.5" notebook drive with 16MB cache. I forget which brand it was. My Hitachi only has the standard 8MB cache.

Back