• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safely Remove Hardware Wizard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jEevion

In my task bar, it displays the safely remove hardware wizard, and when I open it up, it shows my two hard drives. Is there any way to get rid of this? I don't want to remove my drives. I have a WD Raptor 74GB and a Seagate Barracuda 200GB 7200RPM. They are plugged in to SATA ports 3 and 4 on my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. I just want to get rid of that stupid icon in my taskbar, how do I do it? Thanks.

if you don't use the icon at all (usb thumb drives liked to be stopped, as does most usb hot swappable devices), you can right click on your taskbar, select properties, then customize your inactive icons and set the icon to "always hide"

Yes, I have done that, but isn't there any way to get rid of it completely? Like why is it even there?

Also, compared to my old 7200RPM drive, this Raptor does not seem at all faster. When I formatted this drive before I installed Windows, it asked something about a cluster size or something. What was I supposed to set it to?

the proper cluster size depends on what you do with your PC. for most users, just the default is fine.

SATA drives are designed to be hot swappable, that's why you are getting the option to remove them. I'm assuming you installed the nvidia IDE drivers?

I believe I have, I had to install the drivers which came on the disk in order to get my gigabit LAN working.

But then again, why does my drive seem so slow? I have SiSoft Sandra, which benchmark should I run to check if it's performing up to par?

Going on the NVidia website, I found the Unified Driver 5.10 which includes IDE drivers and memory controller drivers. Is this what I want to download?

Leviathan41 said:
Question: is it necessary to safely remove USB flash drives? What can happen if you don't?

Most you can just take out anytime, and all is fine. But- a friend of mine has one that will corrupt if you don't use the 'safely remove hardware' button.

The reason I ask is because I've never used the SRH wizard and I've used several different USB drives and haven't had any trouble with any of them. I guess there is always a small chance, I dunno.

Back