• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hdd dieing, or MB dieing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iLLestOne

Well hal.dll got corrupted on my raid setup, and I couldn't install windows on the raid drives after this. I kept running into problems/errors. So I just installed windows on one of the wd 80 ide drivers (using sata conver). It worked fine for a day, then windows started acting up and eventually wouldn't boot up. I did see a "Delayed write error" or something like that in the taskbar the last time I was in windows. So I hook up the OTHER 80gb WD hd, using ide-sata (so it's plugged into sata on the board), and now windows is acting weird.

I ran checkdisk on the other 80 and it said it had "unrecoverable problems" or something like this, and now my new drive is getting problems in chkdsk. I ran it right after I installed windows and it fixed somethings. I've ran it 2 times since then, both times coming up /w problems..This time it is w/ "the volume bitmap", and before it was something about Master Table, I believe. I tested one hd w/ the wd diag. tools, and it failed the first time (SMART), but passed the 2nd time and passed the extended test. I have yet to try the other HD, cause I don't want it to screw up this windows install. I also set the PSP discard to 1ms, like everyone says to do w/ Sata on nf7. I have updated to the newest Sata drivers, and have bios 4250.

I ordered another HD, thinking that is the problem. But do you think it could be my mb or sata chip dieing? Is there any way to test? Do you think it could be the modded bios? I guess I could flash it back to a Official bios and see if that helps.

Please help me! With school starting, I need a reliable computer!

Last edited:
Oh yea, I should add.

I just moved, so the comp was in the car w/ me (buckled up in the passanger seat :) ) for the 4 hour drive...

temps are fine. A little higher, but it's hotter here....so everything should seated fine...

I just ran 3dmark03, and everything seems to be on par....

Back