• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5.1 usefulness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techun

I heard you can't get true surround sound when you play games..is this true?..then what is the point of having surround sound speakers? Do you all watch dvds on your computer, when you (most likely) have a bigger screen and a more comfortable chair sitting in another room

games are surround song, at least ones supporting EAX. 5.1 sounds good, but it would sound better if I could properly set up my speakers. Right now, the ones that should be behind me are at my side, but they do still let me know that the guy shooting me is definately not in front of me.

Sure you can. It's all about which game it is too. But most sound cards can't produce a surround sound digital signal on the fly to an external sound system. Only using the analog plugs.

The only card in the world that does this without a hit to the CPU is Nvidia's soundstorm.

What Tebore said. But even with the soundstorm you cant get digital surround sound in games because no game uses a surround reciever compatible format such as dolby digital or dts. They all use direct3d , eax, etc so you'd still only be getting stereo via a digital connection in games.

With analog connections its perfectly possible though, depending on the games.

Prodigious said:
What Tebore said. But even with the soundstorm you cant get digital surround sound in games because no game uses a surround reciever compatible format such as dolby digital or dts. They all use direct3d , eax, etc so you'd still only be getting stereo via a digital connection in games.

With analog connections its perfectly possible though, depending on the games.

I thought SS could take say a EAX sound stream with 5 channels and then encode in real time in to DD then send it via a digital line to a DD receiver. I'm not sure what the difference is, all I know is I have 5.1 Sound coming out of my games when I set it to 5.1 in options.

Anyone want to link any info on the difference, I'd love a read.

Hmmm I wasn't aware of that, but you may be right. If so that's quite an accomplishment(no wonder its only supported by soundstorm and nothing else). I'll have to check into that...

Back