• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon 64 512 Cache vs 1024 Cache

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToTheC

Greetings! I'm new to this so I would appreciate any help and/or advice someone might offer.

I recently purchased an Athlon 64 3200+ (754 socket) with a 1024 L2 cache for my K8N-E Deluxe mobo. (I was informed this is a Newcastle style processor...right or wrong?) Is there an advantage or disadvantage to having a 1024 L2 cache over a 512 L2 cache? And what can I expect in terms of overclocking? (I plan to use either a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu or a Swiftech MCX6400-V H/S.)

1MB of cache has about 3-5fps difference in gaming, but I'm not sure it is noticable in general use or not. 512k cache is suppose to overclock further than the 1MB cache, but it is mostly depends on the chip most likely..

3450.png

If it's 1mb of L2 Cache, it's a Clawhammer.

Usually the Cace makes up for about 150mhz.

I always think it's better to get a clawhammer, over a Newcastle on the 754 when you have the choice, because they o/c about the same really.

i just started playing with a 3400+ DTR Clawhammer (2.2ghz, 1024k L2), i have it running at 2.7ghz right now (i need to vcore mod my board to go higher), and it's very nice :) rendering stuff like video is so much faster than on my AXP at 2.9ghz.

Back